Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My 95 Disco head job!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turf63
I had that coming. Its these darned mobile uploads. Too tough to type out anything sensible and I couldn't find the edit button fast enough
So to CLARIFY the issue at hand is a STRONG leak from the rear of the passenger HEAD GASKET (or at least as best I can tell). I think its time I take the (gulp) head gasket leap.
I am so glad you have a sense of humor!

Have you checked to ensure none of the bolts have come loose first? That seems to correct some of the leaking issues - especially if there are no other symptoms, coolant and oil are clean, no exhaust smells etc...

Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, this weekend is supposed to be diagnosis weekend. But since I don't have a garage I'm gonna need it to stop raining first. That's pretty much my intent though. Get in there make sure everything is torqued down to spec and if it still leaks, find exactly where from and probably get on the phone with AB or someone to order a ton of parts. I already ordered the "in search of the experience" DVD which apparently has a head gasket job detailed in it which should be pretty helpful.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Just for clarification; the prevailing school of thought is to have the heads milled while they're off to ensure they mate as well as possible when reinstalled? Is that right? Anybody know what a mill job for heads should run?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turf63
So I just found what seems to be a pretty string leak coming from the rear of my passenger head. Colodisco, any chance of a writeup to save the next poor guy (probably me) that needs to do head gaskets?
Sorry, I was in Moab when you asked that question. I am now battling a code 48. As I stated before I am a auto tech so I tend to do and not document. One of the other guys did a full write up on his head gasket repairs.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah. No problem. I've actually been reading up a ton since then. Going tomorrow to take the intake etc off to try and get a better look. Its coming from the most inconvenient spot. Firewall side of the passenger head or valve cover. I can't tell and there's so much crap in the way (coil packs etc) that I need to pull it apart just to tell if I need to pull it apart further nonetheless I feel relatively good about this project if that's the direction its heading.
I saw your pics. Trip looked awesome. Hope you get the shifting sorted out. That sounds to be the most troublesome.