Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

my tick....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danny, you never did post pictures of that port you capped off ...

Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have nothing to add here about my tick. hopefully i can soon with the oil changes and pressure check.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This stock buick valve train is crap. They are on all the motors. zero adjustability. My bet is the lifters are out of spec. infact I bet they are crushed out of spec. meaning weak springs inside now after alife time of being squished to hell.

What you are hearing is the same thing that happens to Rhodes lifters they are bleeding down until enough pressure it made in the oiling system to pump them back up. As long as they are not wiping out the cam, its not really a bad thing. think of it as having a two cams in one.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm ready to do my 20-50 change (ill look for that Castrol DL), re-gasket the sump and add the sandwich/gauge plate.

I think I can do it myself although the indie that did it last was unsuccessful in stopping leaking at the gasket.

i've reviewed the RAVE and it doesn't mention the cork gasket I just bought from AB.

If I recall correctly I was told to use the gasket and Rightstuff.

As I'm trying to stop leaking, I should change the o-ring on the oil filter...and anything else?

Should I buy the torque wrench for this? It would probably help as I'm not a real wrencher.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You should invest in a torque wrench. If oil pan is off, clean off the oil pick up screen, replace the o ring on the tube it feeds, and be sure the bolts that hold that are tight, consider a little locctite, don't want that puppy to fall off in the oil. And take pictures, even if SWMBO has to operate the camera while your hands are grime covered.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Pro Wrench

why am i taking pics.....i'm sure the work i do must be sooooo boring for you guys. unless you like the mistakes i make...trucks rolling on their own down the street, oil all over including in my eyes....

i do my wrenching on the sly....can't let my wife know or she would be making me fix the house or move furniture or something like that.

ill get the t-wrench. how do you feel about the cork gasket and the RightStuff together?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
why am i taking pics.....i'm sure the work i do must be sooooo boring for you guys. unless you like the mistakes i make...trucks rolling on their own down the street, oil all over including in my eyes....

i do my wrenching on the sly....can't let my wife know or she would be making me fix the house or move furniture or something like that.

ill get the t-wrench. how do you feel about the cork gasket and the RightStuff together?
I would say one or the other not both. And of the two, I'd go with The Right Stuff. You want to apply a bead around the flat surface of the oil pan, and make a circle around each bolt hole. Then gently thread in each bolt. The idea is to squish the Right Stuff flat, but not squish it out. Once the Right Stuff has been gently squished flat, let it cure for a few hours. Then go bach and snug up all the oil pan bolts. Needless to say you want both mating surfaces spotless before applying any Right Stuff.

Taking pics is a PITA while you're working, I always forget. Plus its rather pointless for mundane jobs like this. Of course if you find huge chucks of metal in your oil pan then we'll definitely want pics of the carnage.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Pro Wrench

i have that cork gasket.....more garage art?

i agree. all carnage must be photographed.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Pro Wrench

im pretty sure im taking drowsy's advice and slowly de-sludging the rockers prior to my oil change(s). it involves removing the rocker covers which to me seemed like undoable. reading RAVE now, it seems like it's possible. moving forward i think i will try to do it myself in general and then call for help when and if i need it.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
im pretty sure im taking drowsy's advice and slowly de-sludging the rockers prior to my oil change(s). it involves removing the rocker covers which to me seemed like undoable. reading RAVE now, it seems like it's possible. moving forward i think i will try to do it myself in general and then call for help when and if i need it.
Rockers or lifters?

Quick Reply: my tick....