Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My Winch Bumper Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nice...

really nice....

Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Can you post the overall dimensions. I was just given some really heavy steel frames that came off PLC racks from a US Steel Training center. These are 6 feet tall rectangular cabinet frames made from some awesome steel plate that is 8 inches wide with a formed lip on both sides. I keep looking at possibly cutting one into two pieces to make both a front and rear bumper.

I'll have to take some pics soon.
Danny Lee, which dimensions do you need?

Originally Posted by vandev
really nice....
Thanks bro.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think he is wanting the angles, and the length of the 3 main pieces...at least, those are the dims I'd like(cause I'm too lazy to get out a measuring tape).

Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup...I've decided I have to fab a new bumper for the D2. I'd go simple Terrafirma because I don't need much but shipping would kill me. I could probably get it done for under $400 here. I messed with this drawing awhile back before I understood what an approach angle was.

Really sexy work there.

Danny's threatening pics again.

Attached Thumbnails My Winch Bumper Project-bumper.jpg  

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 03-13-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
Yup...I've decided I have to fab a new bumper for the D2. I'd go simple Terrafirma because I don't need much but shipping would kill me. I could probably get it done for under $400 here. I messed with this drawing awhile back before I understood what an approach angle was.

Really sexy work there.

Danny's threatening pics again.

Thank you! Nice sketchup model too, did you do that all yourself? I've worried about the approach angle on mine too, but I think I've got it high enough that I won't have any problems.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 03-13-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:46 PM
TReK

Not sure if you mentioned this, but how much room does the winch need? I don't have a winch to get measurements off of. And I have the steel to make a bumper, but don't want to make it too small or larger than needed for the winch tray.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Winching

Dimensions for all! This should give you a general idea of how much material is required. This is my cut sheet, starting with a full 4' x 8' sheet of 3/16 steel. I don't plan on handing over all of my design details (CAD files for the plasma cutter) but this should be easy enough to reverse engineer if you must. I recommend thinking it through and verifying that dimensions will work with your fab method. For example I bent the winch tray but many facilities would not have the capacity to bend that piece, you'd have to assemble it from multiple smaller pieces.

As you can see I've left plenty of steel for other projects, you might be able to get two bumpers out of one sheet if you don't waste any.

I will figure out the angles later, the bumper is locked up at school right now and I don't have a CAD reader on my laptop. Basically after I fabbed the winch tray I held up the front angle pieces where they needed to go, and measured the top wing based on that. Then I drew it in CAD and threw it on the plasma table. Just be sure to take into account your bending radius when you bend the top wing to meet the frame bracket or your piece will be the wrong size.

Attached Thumbnails My Winch Bumper Project-cut-sheet-updated.jpg  

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 03-13-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:37 PM
TReK

That was very considerate of you. Most people will not attempt to duplicate. Thanks for the winch tray dims. I will be using 1/4" X 2" X 6" channel iron for the main body on mine. Will be a little heavy, but should be strong enough to handle everything I can throw at it. I also have some 3"X5" tube steel for the rear bumper. Basically a much beefier version of what is currently there.And strong enough for a swing-away tire carrier(if I get that ambitious).

We'll see what happens. Need the time first to get'er done.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
That was very considerate of you. Most people will not attempt to duplicate. Thanks for the winch tray dims. I will be using 1/4" X 2" X 6" channel iron for the main body on mine. Will be a little heavy, but should be strong enough to handle everything I can throw at it. I also have some 3"X5" tube steel for the rear bumper. Basically a much beefier version of what is currently there.And strong enough for a swing-away tire carrier(if I get that ambitious).

We'll see what happens. Need the time first to get'er done.
Chris-bob,

Are you saying you will fit the winch inside the channel iron? That may limit your selection of winches.

The bolt pattern on mine, which I believe is typical, is 4.5" x 10". The body of my winch is 6.5" deep by 10 and change high by 21" wide. I don't believe it would fit conveniently within a 6" channel. If you remember my winch tray design, all four frame brackets are inside the main bent piece, limiting the width a bit. That left about 24", approximately the distance between the frame rails. Kind of like LR knew people would be mounting winches here!

I left 24" width, 7" depth, and nearly unlimited height, so this bumper should accommodate pretty much any winch. I probably wouldn't go above 10k pounds on the winch though since I ended up using only 3/16" plate. I spoke with an employee at the local off-road fab and he told me if the tray has a proper shape with bends or gussets anything over 3/16" is overkill. I took his word for it. Also, I would never have managed to bend 1/4" plate that wide...

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 03-13-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 PM
TReK

No, the channel will be the front section, with the winch mounted behind it. Just an uglier version of yours.

Quick Reply: My Winch Bumper Project