Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need input on oil pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need input on oil pressure...

Once I got the items completed in previous post I was gonna call it a day and save the oil change till tomorrow but I couldn't help my self an took it for a test drive. The temp stayed below half mark (ultra-gauge shipped today) and wires and plugs seemed to have made a Hugh difference.
Ok here's the deal with oil light. When I started out it was off, about the 4 mile mark I went to accelerate and it started flickering, let off the gas it went out but the longer I ran it the flickering became less and was staying on longer until it stayed on and did not go out. Does the light only register low pressure or high as well and can the oil pan be pulled without removal of any other parts? A always your guys input is most appreciated.
Sorry, I'm a long winded poster...

Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Light only comes on at low pressure IF wiring is OK and sensor is OK. You can't take a chance. Borrow a pressure gauge and attach where the oil sensor comes out of. Your screen could be clogged, your pickup tube seal could be sucking air. Your pump could be cracked or worn. Page 133 of 873 in the RAVE workshop manual gives the procedure for pan removal, including the 17 bolts. If you don't find anything questionable inside the pan then front cover and oil pump are next on the list.

Don't drive it until resolved.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Light only comes on at low pressure IF wiring is OK and sensor is OK. You can't take a chance. Borrow a pressure gauge and attach where the oil sensor comes out of. Your screen could be clogged, your pickup tube seal could be sucking air. Your pump could be cracked or worn. Page 133 of 873 in the RAVE workshop manual gives the procedure for pan removal, including the 17 bolts. If you don't find anything questionable inside the pan then front cover and oil pump are next on the list.

Don't drive it until resolved.

Agree completely, FLA you have been ignoring this since your initial issue and it was said back then... If you genuinely have an issue here you are KILLING your engine and unless you want to do a full rebuild and/or replacement of it make sure you get this figured out asap

Old 08-17-2013, 06:37 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Stop driving your Disco before you kill it, common since, that idiot light is there for a reason/

Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

I believe some one called it in a previous post, the extended overheating event may have fried your oil, and physical properties have changed, like viscosity. Do the oil and filter change. Get a mechanical gauge and test in the drive way.

You may be lucky and it is just a filter plugged up. Who knows what evil extended cooking of the witch's brew inside the oil system did?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Who knows what evil extended cooking of the witch's brew inside the oil system did?
That's what I'm afraid of. Verbal butt kicking well received. Think I found a oil pan gasket at a chain parts store, said they had one online but closed when I called. Today was devoted to sons birthday, back on it tomorrow.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

see Gasket Makers : Permatex® the Right Stuff® Gasket Maker

widely available.

See if you can screen whatever is drained out, looking for various things like chunks of gasket, nibs of RTV, etc. A lot of stuff back up in solution heads toward the screen. Then it sinks back with the bottom feeders when the engine is off.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

FLA I used the black RTV, gaskets are available from advance & autozone but if you look at the RAVE they use a form of RTV from the factory, and not a gasket.

save the money, buy a big tube of RTV and you're set. Did mine a few weeks ago and it's been flawless. Can be a lil hard to get in the right spot amongst the linkage etc. Also as was suggested to me(but was already done) get a few bolts and cut the heads off, or just some studs to help align the pan while you put in some bolts to actually hold it.