Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

need some condenser fan help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some condenser fan help

My condenser fans are good they run if they are hot wired. the fuse under the hood is good and the I swapped out the relay under the glove box and that didn't change any thing so I put it back the way it was.

any thoughts on how to trace this back. I read some where 80% of the time shorts are because of a bad ground. Started thinking maybe I should just go through and redo all the ground connections that I can find. I have the wiring diagram and I have never had to really follow one before it mostly makes sense to me. Crossing the things off the list that I know work bring me down to oh eight things.

anyone had to do this? I don't want to put it on a manual switch...to me that seems like the wrong answer and I will only do that as a last resort. I have had the grill off for a couple of weeks now and really would like to put it back together. I have a voltometer but I really don't know what I am doing with it.

any tips would be greatly appreciated..thank you

Old 06-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

You forgot to mention what the problem is. I'm guessing the fans don't come on when the AC is run?

Old 06-30-2011, 03:12 PM
TReK
Received 418 Likes on 350 Posts

first, learn how to use the multimeter. Get over to youtube and you'll find plenty of vids. basically put one lead on the power wire, the other to a ground and read voltage.

Next, start tracing back to where the power ends. Confirm you have power out of the fuse box. Then out of the relay (with A/C on of course). Then to the fans.

Look 'backwards' from where you no longer have power.

If you have power all the way out to the fans when using your own ground (putting one lead to the frame of the vehicle) then you likely have a bad ground somewhere. Repeat the process using the ground wires at each point.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In my copy of the Rave electrical troubleshooting guide both fan motors go to ground point E200. From the grounds list in the same guide, that is on section Z5 - page 43, looks like on the right hand kick panel near some relays - see Rave photos. Since there is no other connection shown in series with that point, you could test by applying a temporary ground jumper to the frame up near the fans to rule that out. By the way, when you have solved it, be sure fans are blowing air toward the engine, not the front grille.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Three Wheeling

savannah is the troubleshooting guide a different download from the normal rave? I have the rave in print and pdf also I have a haynes I didn't see a list of the grounds any where thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction. I will head out there in a little bit with the volt meter....a ratchet...some sand paper....and electronics lube....I have thought before that if I new all the grounds I would just go through and clean them all...since it is like 80% of the electrical problems I read that somewhere.
Thank you guys I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

When I downloaded the files, I got the guide that shows you how to fix things (like a shop manual), and another file, called the electrical troubleshooting guide. It is broken into sections, and you can look up how something works, the wiring diagram, then the location of all the parts, location of splices, connectors, including pin locations, and location of grounds. All that said - if you jumped 12 volts positive on to the fan leads and they run fine, then there is already a working ground and your problem is upstream from the fans. Sorry I can't give you the link - I'm away from my main PC and using a loaner. Will try to find and post link.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Found this link Index of /landrover/LR Discovery, which will get a 1997 and a 1995 ETM - on your own for viral scans, etc. I looked at my dates of files, and the ETM was a different date from the regular manual, so I guess I stumbled across it after getting the RAVE.

Update: I downloaded the entire RAVE again, and it does include the latest version of the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual, it was in sub file "lj", and is called "etlj970x".

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-03-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: checked location of ETM in RAVE
Old 07-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

I re-downloaded the Rave from Mike's listing on his posts - and it does contain everything, including the ETL. The one for my 97 Disco is in the "lj" folder, and is the "etlj970x" document, which is revision 6 of the ETL and covers model years 97-99. Now for a user that is not used to schematics it may appear complex - but it is really high school physics simple. Virtually everything is a series circuit A to B to C, etc. And the ETL shows you pictures of what to look for. A similar manual for my W124 Mercedes just has drawings, which don't always show everything you want. Remember, schematics are like road maps; and while Land Rovers don't need roads - most owners need the ability to read a map.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I needed those manuals to add to the mass of information I am collecting. I need a full day to really track this down.
eliminating the things that I know all ready work like the ac switch the blower motors etc. There is voltage at the fans. I made a list of the items in the chain....and I cut and pasted out of the etm the pics and locations of each piece that I will be looking at.
Thank you again I really needed the etm and the body manual will prove invaluable as well.