Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Champion Plugs Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Champion Plugs Today

I installed 8 new Champion Copper Plus Plugs today. They were 1.99 each at Advance Auto. The old ones (same type) were all black from it running rich prior to my MAF cleaning. My CEL had come back on with just 1 code P1316 had made it's return. Previous had also ben P0308 cylinder 8 misfire.

All 8 plugs were pretty much identical in appearance with just minor variation in the degree of carbon present. Gapped all the new ones (only two of 8 needed slight adjustment coming out of the box. Used .038 gap. Stickers says 32-38.

I had cleared the P1316 at the parts store when I bought the plugs, it's still off. Runs really smooth with the new plugs. The part number is RC12MC4. These do have the 5/8 drive heads on them. I had also used them on my last tune-up.

I am waiting on the new spark plug wires to be delivered from Amazon.com along with air filter and oil filter, but i wanted to hurry up and get the plugs in while we had a decent morning outside. I found a short flex head Craftsman ratchet that worked well on 7 of the 8 locations with a short extension.

Looking forward to finishing up the above next week. This thing just keep running better and better.

I am going to signup for that extended guarantee that covers the engine from MaxLife cause that's what I have been using lately and I onlyt got 122K on it. You have to register before 125K and they cover it up to 250K. I figure I might as well. I was actually going to try theRotella, but they were out when I went to Walmart for it and I ended up getting the MaxLife 10W40. I liked the way it quieted the motor down and have stuck with it. This is my third change using it.

Love the way it's running so smooth now. Not bad for a 1997. Pretty peppy now.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amazing what a fresh set of plugs can do!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I am running the RN11YC4, or 322 copper plugs in my D2 with great results.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Baja

It's absolutely amazing the difference with a clean MAF and fresh plugs. New wires should be in next week along with air filter(ordered a WIX this time based on the brands and prices offered on Amazon) and a K&N2004 Oil Filter. I am thrilled with it once again. Hopefully codes are gone for now, looking forward to improved gas milage as well as restored performance. And keep using the Sonoco 93 Octane.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice work..i need to make a move soon on the maf/plug/wire tuneup.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you really want the most from your tune up, do an induction cleaning and throw a can of 44K in your tank, this will add an additional punch to an already good tune up.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Baja

Mike, I will follow your advice. I had been avoiding doing an induction cleaning but had been using the seafoam in the gas tank and crankcase as stated on the can.

After cleaning the MAF, I wish I had performed that as part of the very first items. If it is not on the list of what should be done I think it should be added.

I have not really seen the 44K locally. But will do a search for it.

I was out late last night running a few errands. It is already like driving a totally different vehicle. Easing along at 25 it is so quiet and smooth. Idle is super smooth, but it is so tempting to goose it and listen to it wind up when rolling down a wide open road. I have so many low speed limits and steep hills, I rarely get a chance to put my foot in it. Just cracking the throttle will get me a ticket in a big hurry in some of these areas.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Baja

After looking at the sticky on doing seafoam cleaning, the first thing I noticed is that my intake is different (GEMS) version, and I do not remember seeing the port shown on the BOSCH.

I also searched on Seafoam and I am somewhat reluctant once again after reading of some of the experiences. So I think I will forgo that for now.

I would like a few others opinions. My throttle valve looks pretty clean compared to what the videos showed. I have had it running rich for a while.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-30-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

FWIW...In my opinion the seafoam induction cleaning CAUSES more problems than it cures. I have heard good things about the bg44 though, I would try it if I could find it locally.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

For the BG44K, check with reputable auto repair shops. The larger, reputable shops will perform the BG services, and should be able to provide you with a can of the 44K over the counter.

Quick Reply: New Champion Plugs Today