Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New engine, have spark but no fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:40 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New engine, have spark but no fuel

So I had originally started out with a bad head gasket in my 97 Disco. After tearing into it and finding out that the previous owner had done some work to it, and not all of it had been for the better. So, long story short I bought a salvage engine as compared to going for an immediate overhaul. At this point I have the new engine in and everything is hooked up (with many references to RAVE) and I currently have spark to the plugs, but have no fuel. I have power to, what I believe, is the correct plugs at the pump. I'm having some trouble in tracing the exact wires that are powered when they should be or shouldn't be. So, spark but no fuel. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The truck was sitting for approximately 6 weeks before I made the decision for the new engine so I'm trying to avoid buying a pump if I don't have to. Thanks from a newbie!!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

two things there is an inertia switch on the fire wall that controls power to the fuel pump, also on the rear of the manifold you will find a schader valve that you can use to check for fuel pressure

Old 06-12-2014, 11:31 PM
8th Gear

I checked the Inertia Switch, and it appears to be ok. It's not popped up or anything of that nature, though I haven't checked the power coming out of it to make sure that it's actually working. And as far as pressure, I pulled the lines off of the fuel rail and they are nearly dry. Next I pulled the lines off of the pump itself and there's absolutely no pressure their either.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Checked the fuses?

Pump maybe decided to stb?

I don't recall does the alarm kill fuel or spark?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:50 PM
8th Gear

Fuses appear to be good. I am getting power to the pump fuse, so I suppose that's a start at the least. I'll be powering up the pump directly via direct current, bypassing all electronic b.s., tomorrow to either rule it out or find out if it works at all. And i'm not sure on the alarm. Though I don't appear to have an alarm problem...?

Old 06-15-2014, 10:33 PM
8th Gear

Update: The pump is good. So, it's somewhere between the fuse and the pump. Let the wire tracing and relay hunt begin.