Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New To Land Rovers and could use some advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, on dry roads you'll probably never manage to lock up the tires anyway. Off-road you may want to. And in snow and ice you can do like they did in the old days and pump the brakes. The weight distribution on these is pretty good so you'll always have braking at all four corners.

Currently my ABS works about 50% of the time. It worked for about 6 months straight after going through a diagnostic and fixing minor things like tapping the sensors into position. Now I'm debating whether I should fix it again or disable it. But it is not a necessary feature in my opinion, if it's an expensive repair you may want to save that money for something more essential that will come up eventually.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Wow. I'd feel pretty lucky getting this this do cheap if I can simply disable it for free or next to it. I almost feel guilty. ...almost.

I typically drive cars that never had abs to begin w so that won't be a huge deal. I've driven lifted 80's suburbans blazers and broncos none w abs. That will be great news.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is simply a matter of pulling the ABS Pump Fuse. Look under the hood.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Wow. I'd feel pretty lucky getting this this do cheap if I can simply disable it for free or next to it. I almost feel guilty. ...almost.

I typically drive cars that never had abs to begin w so that won't be a huge deal. I've driven lifted 80's suburbans blazers and broncos none w abs. That will be great news.
Yeah, you literally stole it. Don't feel guilty though, it was his job to set the price and agree to the sale. His loss, your gain. Take good care of it and keep it forever.

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
It is simply a matter of pulling the ABS Pump Fuse. Look under the hood.
I thought there were three or so ABS fuses, is that the only one that needs to be pulled?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 AM
Three Wheeling

WOW great buy!!! I have had my Disco for 13 years... I have never broken down nor has it given me any issues... it has just required ALOT of maintenence. The worst thing that happend to my vehicle was letting it set for two years while I was deployed in Afganistan. Came back to base jump started it...drove home. I changed all the fluids and it has been GREAT! You got the deal of the century... take care of it and it will take care of YOU!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by roverguy67
wow great buy!!! I have had my disco for 13 years... I have never broken down nor has it given me any issues... It has just required alot of maintenence. The worst thing that happend to my vehicle was letting it set for two years while i was deployed in afganistan. Came back to base jump started it...drove home. I changed all the fluids and it has been great! You got the deal of the century... Take care of it and it will take care of you!
exactly!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
I thought there were three or so ABS fuses, is that the only one that needs to be pulled?
There are many ABS fuses but the only one you need to worry about is the ABS pump fuse, it is under the hood.
Removing that fuse will totally disable the ABS because the pump cannot pump the brakes for you.