Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New motors for A/C condenser

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New motors for A/C condenser

So hello again,
just about done with my cooling system overhaul.
- AB upper and lower radiator hoses
- Copper/brass nissen radiator
- 180 tstat and gasket
- fan clutch oem
- peak global coolant
- system purge and test

now im onto my condenser fans. Both motors are infact bad
autozone has the Toyota corolla motors for 46.99 each with lifetime warranty.

The problem I have with buying these motors is that I would have to modify the wire harness (not like its hard) and in turn would void the warranty. Id love to never have to buy these motors again.
Do you guys and gals have any ideas on how I should proceed.
What about getting the male connectors off a junked corolla and splicing them in, in the place of the Rover connectors.. id like to fix this asap but don't want the shell out the dough for motors that I wont be able to hold warranty on....

thanks.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

boneyard is your friend

Old 05-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will be swapping these motors tomorrow. I will photograph and document each step of the process to help expand the forums write up.
Step 1: remove 3 screws from top of grill
Step 2: release retaining spring on left and right turn signals carefully set signal housings aside.
Step 3: Remove Phillips screw from retaining sleeve under left and right turn signals.
Step 4: carefully lift up and slide away plastic corner trim left and right
Step 5: tilt grille forward and lift out of mounts
Step 6:

Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 AM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does this require removing radiator and condenser per shop manual?

Originally Posted by Lord Wert
i will be swapping these motors tomorrow. I will photograph and document each step of the process to help expand the forums write up.
Step 1: remove 3 screws from top of grill
Step 2: release retaining spring on left and right turn signals carefully set signal housings aside.
Step 3: Remove Phillips screw from retaining sleeve under left and right turn signals.
Step 4: carefully lift up and slide away plastic corner trim left and right
Step 5: tilt grille forward and lift out of mounts
Step 6:
Does this require removing radiator and condenser per shop manual?

Old 06-01-2016, 07:19 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

You don't have to remove the radiator or condensor to get at the fans but the upper bolts are a bitch to get at. Plus you really don't want to snap the heads of those little bolts off because then you have to come up with another way to secure the fans to their mounts. I seem to recall, and it could be that I'm thinking of the DII but in order to really access the inward, upper screws, you have to move the latch assembly for the hood out of the way. Of course the two crossbars and front grill have to come out as well. Lots of plastic to break so proceed with caution.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:54 AM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
You don't have to remove the radiator or condensor to get at the fans but the upper bolts are a bitch to get at. Plus you really don't want to snap the heads of those little bolts off because then you have to come up with another way to secure the fans to their mounts. I seem to recall, and it could be that I'm thinking of the DII but in order to really access the inward, upper screws, you have to move the latch assembly for the hood out of the way. Of course the two crossbars and front grill have to come out as well. Lots of plastic to break so proceed with caution.
Thanks so much. Was thinking of trying this approach, good to know it's possible!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:57 AM
TReK

It's the way Lord Wert is going. So far, he's just posted about removing the front grille. With that out of the way your next step is to remove the cross bars. At that point check access to the four (per fan) 8mm bolts that secure the fans to their mounts. DO NOT try to unscrew them as you will most certainly strip or snap the bolts. Spray them with PB Blaster or similar and wait. When you try to take the bolts out with an 8mm socket and ratchet, move slowly. Like I said, you don't want to break them. It's not the end of the world but you're just creating more work for yourself.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:50 PM
TReK

I just did this job today. Talk about coincidence. One of the shops I deal with in NYC called looking for a good used pair. Anyway, you definitely need to remove the hood latch assembly, I forgot about the transmission oil cooler. It helps if you move it forward a bit. You'll also need to remove the top mounts for the radiator so you can push it back. That gives you access to the condensor and, more importantly the wiring for the fans.