Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New P/S Pump, but lost power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Yes that usually leaks , looks like heater hose? Try to snug up the hose clamps worked on mine

Are you sure you routed the belt correct after having it off? It fits 2 ways only 1 is correct

Check tech section iirc there is a diagram

I bet you got the crank sensor wet

Old 07-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Yes that usually leaks , looks like heater hose? Try to snug up the hose clamps worked on mine

Are you sure you routed the belt correct after having it off? It fits 2 ways only 1 is correct

Check tech section iirc there is a diagram

I bet you got the crank sensor wet
Hmm, didn't know that about the belt. I didn't change the pump. I am not sure if the dealer did it or brother-in-law. I will double check the routing of the belt.

As for the hose clamps, there are not any. It looks like a compression crimp type around the hose, not like the type on the pressure hose going into the gearbox, but like a metal band around the hose. I will have to look closer to the connection to pump itself.

And yes, I bet you are right , probably did get the crank sensor wet.
But now I have a whole bunch of little issues that have popped up which will probably prevent me from running till I get it straighten out.

Thanks for the help

Old 07-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

degrease the hoses good with simple green concentrate or whatever u use, the hose coming from the bottle may have factory crimped clamps, if it is swollen or leaking you cut them with dykes and replace hose and use the worm type hose clamps

the pressure lines that screw into pump and box can leak at threads from bad orings ( cheap fix) or where the hose is crimped onto the metal fittings ( need new hose)

this also goes for trans lines and oil cooler lines

try not to hose the electical down, not a good idea on these lol

The following users liked this post:
Nitrojunkie383 (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TOM R
degrease the hoses good with simple green concentrate or whatever u use, the hose coming from the bottle may have factory crimped clamps, if it is swollen or leaking you cut them with dykes and replace hose and use the worm type hose clamps

the pressure lines that screw into pump and box can leak at threads from bad orings ( cheap fix) or where the hose is crimped onto the metal fittings ( need new hose)

this also goes for trans lines and oil cooler lines

try not to hose the electical down, not a good idea on these lol
Thanks for the help Tom. I will tear into it more once I get her running right again.

Funny that these things are sensitive to water. I remember way back when reading Petersen's 4-Wheel & Off-Road and see the Camel Trophy Trucks with water over over the hoods. Guess they went through major waterproofing before hand.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Mudding
Default Yep, bad reservoir hose

The reservoir hose it leaking around where it ties into the pump. It also appears to have a tear or split in the hose just under the pump, but that could still be gunk that didn't get clean.
Also, the belt is ran properly.
Maybe that's one issue solved.....now on to the next issues.
Thanks

Old 08-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Mudding

Alright, so I guess now I have a bad pump. I have check and double check for leaks...nothing. I have jacked up the front end, turned the wheels back and forth for 5 mins or so.
Then drive it around the block a time or two and still have no power steering.
From what I have been told and read so far, the "rebuilt" p/s pumps have a high fail rate. Guess I am lucky to have one of those.
Now to read up on the S10 conversion.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:09 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Replace the hoses as they leak.
Once the hoses are replaced - you need to bleed the power steering system to get the
ps fluid all thru and get pump suction. Then it will self bleed the rest of the air out.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:16 AM
Mudding
Default Power Steering has Returned!

Well, after about month of driving around, I now have power steering again.
I have not done anything to the system and I can only think that after improving the look of my forearms, I have finally got all of the air out of the system. Seems odd and I guess now I will add some Lucas Power Steering Additive to see if this will help continue to keep the system working properly.