Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Not starting...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. First set of shocks I have ever even tried to replace, RAVE said nothing about holding the actual shock. I'll pull off the front wheel and give it another shot tomorrow then.

2. I don't own a chisel or a torch or an angle grinder. And I asked the local parts store multiple times how to do this and they didn't know either.

3. replacing the tps does me no good if I don't have a test book to reprogram the ecu. I agree that the tps might be the issue, but it does not seem to make any difference if it's plugged in or not. Still it's a 400+ repair. ) 150 for the part (I don't have the option of a pick and pull) 150 for dealer to reprogram and 100 bucks to have my disco towed 50 miles to the dealer. So, being that it could be something else that I can repair here, I would like to see if its something cheaper first (like the crank sensor which is 54 bucks) I have seen nothing in a week of searching all the different boards that specifically tells me that it's the TPS causing all this and throwing the P1316 code.

4. I don't have a high lift jack. I have a 6ton floor jack, It will lift the truck high enough to put my jack stand under the frame at full extension... even so, the rear tires to not lift off the ground. The fronts do. When working on it I also to the jack stands and floor jack under the pumpkin.

5. From reading the boards, it seems like nobody really has a clue what would cause this truck to run rich and throw only p1316. Some say TPS, or Idle air control valve (Which I have taken off and cleaned), I've also seen the Cam sensor mentioned, the crank sensor, plugs and wires, VSS, o2 sensors, stuck injectors and the list goes on... Since it seems that no one knows the answer it's just a toss parts at it until it's fixed type situation. going by that, I might as well do the cheaper parts first and work my way up. At 186k it probably needs, or is going to need soon, any part I replace.

Last edited by ngarover; 10-05-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...Q5fAccessories
________
growing marijuana

Last edited by Henrici; 01-30-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since it seems that no one knows the answer it's just a toss parts at it until it's fixed type situation.
Yikes! Double Yikes!

And that's all I have to say about that.

As far as codes, well, p1316 isn't really a code per se, it is a generic code that simply means there are more codes stored in your system IDM, usually related to injectors. I would check for wiring/ground issues on the injector harness and connections, or for a bad injector. But start with the TPS.

Why do you need to reset the ECU if you replace the TPS? It will adapt to the new TPS as you drive it.

Look what a quick ebay search yielded me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...Q5fAccessories

$50 and ten minutes to change it out. That is something you KNOW is bad.

You seem to be looking for an inexpensive way out of this, and I think you are being penny-wise pound-foolish. You keep sending unburned gas through your cats and they will turn to cement in a hurry. How much will that cost to fix?

I'm just saying it sounds like you should be putting less effort into buying stuff and more effort into figuring out what is wrong. THATS how you can save some $$ fixing it.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still don't understand the comment about not being able to jack the back tires up off the ground. I never had any trouble with mine even with a small bottle jack.

Is the 97 the you have the same way, what's up with that?

Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

TPS ARE 80$ at autozone. If you absolutly need one and are a PA, I will send you one free. Drop in an envelope free.

How do you know its bad first of all.

Your getting spark your getting gas.

Are you getting air? try holding the throttle open [gas pedal] as you start

And it WONT run with a bad CRANK sensor, its a pain in the **** to replace.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:13 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
TPS ARE 80$ at autozone. If you absolutly need one and are a PA, I will send you one free. Drop in an envelope free.

How do you know its bad first of all.

Your getting spark your getting gas.

Are you getting air? try holding the throttle open [gas pedal] as you start

And it WONT run with a bad CRANK sensor, its a pain in the **** to replace.
Geek and Spencer are right on the money. Do the TPS and it will adapt as you drive it. I changed my crank sensor because mine wouldn't run and it is a pain in the ****, you have to do it by feel because you can't see it. Do the TPS first, reset your check engine light/clear the codes and drive it a while and see if it throws the codes again. Do you have a OBD2 code reader?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Winching

The only access to a read I have is the free one at Advanced Auto. (We don't have an autozone) Advance Autos price for the TPS is 156 bucks.

But this is starting to confuse me as I seem to be getting conflicting information...

This P1316 issue started here...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ighlight=p1316 on 8/25 So I have been waiting to fix this now almost 6 weeks.

Spike555 said "you cannot remove the TPS without messing it up. But your problem is with the IACV, I did not know you had the intake plenum apart already, if you moved the plunger on the IACV at all you messed up its calibration.
The IACV is what regulated the amount of air the engine gets at idle, your truck is running rich at idle, we know this because of the black smoke out the tailpipe.
Running to rich will bog down a engine, just like running your lawnmower at full choke when it is already warmed up, it chugs, puffs black smoke and eventually dies.
So either your IACV is bad or out of calibration.
We know its not weak spark because you did a complete tune up.
We know it is not a clogged air filter because it runs fine at higher speeds.
So it must be the IACV."

In following the trobleshooting from another, I removed the TPS, to clean it. (As I did with the IACV) as I was going to pull the one off my 97 and see if it worked on the 96. (Since I know it's good) I got the one off the 96 and was about to to the swap when I realized that taking it off screws it up... meaning I would have hosed my daily driver in the process and required a tow and expensive repair to correct it...

Again spike555 is very clear here..."The IACV and TPS need to be reset with a computer, you cant do it."

So, either way it's looking like a tow to the dealer for them to test book it. If thats the case I might as well put new sensors on before hand and let them set them, cause I know they will totally rape me if they put them on.

Honestly, I have spend my allowance from my wife already this week on this truck with the plugs/wires titling it and getting the insurance for it so it's looking like it will be 2 weeks before I have any spare cash to try anything else anyways.

geek_IM "You seem to be looking for an inexpensive way out of this, and I think you are being penny-wise pound-foolish. You keep sending unburned gas through your cats and they will turn to cement in a hurry. How much will that cost to fix?" The ONLY place I have tried to drive the truck is to local shops to get work done. twice now, Its a 24 mile round trip to me, and they where not able to get it in both times due to other issues. So a total of 50 miles on the new cats with this issue. The Cat's are literally brand new. I had the entire exhaust system replaced. The only part of that system original are the o2 sensors. Trust me, I would love to have it running right and drive it cause right now I'm down to one working car which means, I can't really go anywhere as the wife and kids get it, but I don't want to hose the new cats.

Spencerfitch, I'm not sure what being a "PA" is. If the TPS is 80 bucks at autozone, maybe I can call one and have them get it for me and send it. But I did a search for Throttle position sensor on their website, and they claim not to have a compatible one for the 96. "We're sorry, but there are no results in this parts category for 1996 Land Rover Discovery 8 Cylinders 2 4.0L MFI OHV. "

I'm heading outside to try the shocks again. I'll shoot some video of the rear wheels not lifting. I'm telling you, it's like the rear travel is just greater than the height limit of my jack... I can lift the 97 without issue and it sits 2 inches higher.... which makes no sense to me either.

Last edited by ngarover; 10-06-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey, genius, take a moment to stop yelling at the internet for misdiagnosing your truck sight unseen and

PUT THE FRIGGIN JACK UNDER THE AXLE FOR GODSSAKES.

Once you get that complex task mastered we can continue to attempt to help you. For free.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by geek_IM
Hey, genius, take a moment to stop yelling at the internet for misdiagnosing your truck sight unseen and

PUT THE FRIGGIN JACK UNDER THE AXLE FOR GODSSAKES.

Once you get that complex task mastered we can continue to attempt to help you. For free.
Who's yelling? Seems you. Great, so your trying to help, I have sent many parts off these trucks to people of the forums for free many times. All I have ever asked for it the shipping. I'm just trying to get a truck fixed so I can drive it for the first time in 3 months. Sorry that I don't have piles of money to just run out and buy every little sensor the truck has to do this. If I had those piles of money, do your think I would be under it tearing the **** out of my hands trying to do the work myself?

Not everyone has done this type of work before. I have to learn how to do it it out of necessity. I alway try to return the favor of that teaching if it's a question I can help solve (cause I've been there and already learned what fixes it).

In all honesty, this whole testbook thing has really got me mad. What good is a car that REQUIRES you to take it to the dealer to fix. There is no one else that has this test book ability anywhere close. Sure, you can buy your own, for the cost of both my trucks put together..

I require a 4x4 in order to get into my driveway in the winter here or I would be driving something else. But this testbook thing is making to reconsider even owning the discos, I guess I should just cut my losses and buy a jeep.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NGArover. When I was going through my problems with my TPS and IACV others on here told me to just drive it and it would adapt. The indie I went to said he has never had success with that method. I tried it too. No success. I was the one that had the conversation with you about testbook on the other thread. Sorry you are still having problems with yours. Given your proximity to some good parts sources and a good indie you might want another 4x4 for a DD and keep the Disco as a play toy. That's what I finally did. That way I can take my time fixing the Disco and stop breaking the bank. As for your actual problem I am sorry but I am out of ideas. Wish I could figure it out for you. I also understand your frustration with learning as you wrench. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

Quick Reply: Not starting...