Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Overheating Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 12:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Trouble

My Disco 1 has been having some overheating trouble. The needle isn't going up, but it it hot when I check under the hood. It wont start when it overheats. I got my codes checked and they told me it could be my thermostat.

I tried buying the replacement but they only sell the assembly. I bought one that was the same size, but I'm not sure if it was for the needed temp range.

The one I bought runs at 71 degrees Celsius I think.
I put it into my car and its still overheating.

Does anyone know if this is the right temp range for a Disco 1?
Is there any thermostat replacement, for another car, you could recommend?

Any other reasons it could be overheating?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Autozone sells a 180 degree, Part Number: 7200-180

Gasket Part number: Fel-Pro 12994

The factory one is 190, but 180 is supposed to be better.

Did you put the spring towards the engine block? Did it have the small hole with the bobble thing? Is so is that at the 12 o'clock position?

Is there any air in the system? Do you hear gurgling in the heater core? Does your heater work, meaning is coolant running through the heater core?

Lastly, is your fan clutch working? Does it have good tension?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I'm talking fahrenheit...

Old 03-10-2014, 02:04 PM
4th Gear

I had problems with my 97 disco overheating the entire time I owned it but it was always a different issue. The first time was do to my heater core spring a leak and depositing the entire contents of the cooling system into my passenger front floor causing the vehicle to overheat extremely fast. I bypassedmy heater core with a u hose and did without heat. But it set in motion a domino effect of issues: Being aclosed prssurized system... the water cooler reservoir tankbegan leaking due tothe extreme pressure., heat,stress and the idiot who engineered it being composed of two parts (with a glued seam going around the middle of the bottle.) Age also p layed a factor send they were obviously engineered to last only as long as the glue! Keep an eye on this bottle. Theyre known to fail eventually and need replacement however they will last quite a while so you don't need to get the oem lr part that is new and improved without a seam because it will cost you over 300! This I replace for a total cost of about $90 from an aftermarket parts dealer. (probably the only time I've ever purchased an aftermarket parts for my truck and it actually worked properly) I still overheated! No more leaks so Next in the domino row was what I would usually troubleshoot to begin with in any (unknown) overheating issue because it is the cheapest part and the easiest fix and that was the thermostat. obviously my situation was so obvious I didn't need to start there. being broke and not to mention a silly girl I went back to Autozone or Napa chain store to get a compatible thermostat for my Rover. I was alone and new to the whole process and pretty much learned how to do everything on this very website so I think I screwed up the first install with that 71c thermo. I decided to spend another maybe $10 extra and went back to that specialty store that sold me the water bottle and I purchase a Land Rover compatible thermostat that said 86c or 88 C on it. No luck,no money..I look for help on this website and took someone's advice to just buckle down and get a $25 000 oem Land Rover thermostat which came with the 86 the or 88 C again I cannot remember. The lr part quality was instantly obvious upon opening the package and the gasket was the real rubber not from cardboard piece of crap I replace the thermostat and everything was perfect! our truck 10+2 run hot and even sometimes a little hotter than what they say the specifications because it to fans in the front don't always kick on when they should and they can get clogged up by the grill and blocked with air or debris or whatever so having that 86 vs the 71 is critical but it's also critical that you get the Land Rover part! I later boiled the AutoZone thermostat and it began to open when it should have but our trucks run hotter than they say so I have an extra one for somebody else for a different vehicle if they want it secondly the specialty auto parts store thermostat did not even begin to open until it was boiling for 5 minutes so it was a junk grey market LIAR that wasn't worth the 12 bucks I spent on it.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:11 PM
4th Gear

I forgot to mention when you change the thermostat and all your fluids run out make sure you replace with straight 50/50 green coolant do not delude 50/50 ever or obviously you can buy pure coolant and diluted with water yourself but I have known people to put 50 50 plus add water to their vehicle and Land Rovers do not like that! if you're running hot right now are constantly having to put water in it to cool it down it gets expensive but you're better off just adding coolant it does not like to be diluted any more than 50 50 coolant to water ratio so keep that in mind when you replace your fluid. and I speak about these things not from a repair manual but from literally up to my elbows in Land Rover grease and personal experience and being broke down on the side of the road a silly girl all by myself with no money so you can take that to the bank

Old 03-10-2014, 02:20 PM
4th Gear

I can help you with troubleshooting several other issues that might be causing your overheating. But have a lot of questions so if you want send me an email and I'll give you my cell phone#. You can call me I'm not too busy and its free advice! I really like to help you out because I'm genuinely concerned about the fact that your gauges it going up and its not starting if you get it too hot I don't want you to blow a head gasket so email me for my number. Im on west coast usa. Imnot a pro mechanic, but ifa thing has ever fkd up on me...i became an expert on that very thing! Lol agrojaded@gmail.com