Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Piston to Cam Uneven Wear, New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011 | 04:24 PM
|
2nd Gear
Default Piston to Cam Uneven Wear, New Engine

1998 disovery series 1; 160k; EBC brake system upgarde; 2" OME; ARB wench front bumper; Magnaflow muffler w/ restrictor removed;

well... here i sit broken hearted, loving my rover, all though it farted. took it in early (160k) for head gasket change out and cam upgrade, etc...

my amazing mechanic (Ship's mechanic here in Portland Oregon) did a great job of digging deep and found the cam bearings worn unevenly, then even deeper and the above stated... they saw the oil trp was not tightened all the way into the block and thus possibly caused weak oil pull into the block, damn you LR mass manufacturing (Quality Control anyone?!)

ugh! at least we caught it before it left me stranded somewhere, right? :^)

so, my options soon to be are rebuild bottom end, find a used engine and utilize the bottom end, or go with a total refurbished roverland-north no sleeve engine... prices to come soon.

i dont mind putting the money in for say a rebuild or used bottome end.

my questions are:
  1. does anyone have a low mileage bottom end, even a series 2 1998/99 or 2000? :^) we are looking at junk yards, etc... but nothing yet. and i ask this forum because i trust this forum. i have used this forum repeatedly and love it. thus, thanks to this forum this far in my landy life.
  2. do i just spend the extra money for a rebuild on the old so i know what i got moving forward? any concerns with rebuild or would i most likely have a strong engine even after a rebuild? i do trust ship's beyond all, just more data to diggest.
  3. with a rebuild, what top end and bottom end upgrades should i do? we already have discussed a few things, however want your unbias input :^)
  4. while the engine is out, anything else to replace/upgrade since we are in there already? engine bushings are great actually, and electrical "attachments" are sound.
again, i know there are a lot of threads to research, and i have, but sometimes, specific questions and feedback are easier... for me ;^)

of course any other ramblings or musings (SP?) i will take ..

thanks team!
Christopher in Portland with a love for Landy even though Redwanda sits in limbo for at least another month :^( AND THE SUN IS OUT.. IN PORTLAND! doh!

Old 05-04-2011 | 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

there are also some specific land rover parts guys, check Disco Mike's signature.