Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Quoted $1100 for all 16 rocker arms replaced.. cant I do just the bad 1 myself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nelson,

You are in a situation that many new owners often find themselves in. Shortly after buying their "new to me" vehicle, they encounter a problem that is totally foreign to them and outside anything they have ever experienced.

The quote you got may initially seem higher than what you feel comfortable spending for that one repair. If it is outside your comfort and knowledge level, then you have to look deeper and either get other quotes, find someone who can help you or do it for you.

The associated risk of doing it yourself without really understanding what you are getting into is also a very risky situation. You may get it partially done and not be able to complete it, you may think it is ok to take shortcuts that in the long run will not hold up and end up costing even more.

You may be able to do it fine yourself with adequate research and preparation. It will certainly be out of service for a while. Maybe a day or two or maybe much longer.

You really need to decide what you ar comfortable with and go for it. If you are unsure, you most likely should have a competent shop do it for you. At least that way, you should get it back in a reasonably shorter time frame and in pretty good working order.

Just remember, whenever you tear into one of these, you generally find more things that should be addressed than you initially were aware of.

Good luck with it whichever way you decide to go.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Nelson,

You are in a situation that many new owners often find themselves in. Shortly after buying their "new to me" vehicle, they encounter a problem that is totally foreign to them and outside anything they have ever experienced.

The quote you got may initially seem higher than what you feel comfortable spending for that one repair. If it is outside your comfort and knowledge level, then you have to look deeper and either get other quotes, find someone who can help you or do it for you.

The associated risk of doing it yourself without really understanding what you are getting into is also a very risky situation. You may get it partially done and not be able to complete it, you may think it is ok to take shortcuts that in the long run will not hold up and end up costing even more.

You may be able to do it fine yourself with adequate research and preparation. It will certainly be out of service for a while. Maybe a day or two or maybe much longer.

You really need to decide what you ar comfortable with and go for it. If you are unsure, you most likely should have a competent shop do it for you. At least that way, you should get it back in a reasonably shorter time frame and in pretty good working order.

Just remember, whenever you tear into one of these, you generally find more things that should be addressed than you initially were aware of.

Good luck with it whichever way you decide to go.
I just spoke with the shop. They said that they can do just the right side, (easy side) for 600. I think after I get everything set up myself I will be close to that anyway, so I am going to go ahead and have them do it at some point in the near future.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know of one local Rover owner who borrowed a friends barn to do a rather simple repair. He jumped into it ill prepared and two years later after very many big problems and setbacks, he finally got it running again. But during those two years, the barn was broken into on a number of occasions and his vehicle was severly vandalized.

You have probably made a good decision in the long run.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Nelson, have the shop do the head gaskets too, 80% of the work will already be done.
Should be around $1500 for the headgaskets, they have to remove the rockers anyway.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Nelson, have the shop do the head gaskets too, 80% of the work will already be done.
Should be around $1500 for the headgaskets, they have to remove the rockers anyway.
Ya, the head gaskets are in the quote. To bad I couldnt only get one of them at a time as well. They sell in pairs.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Mudding

With all you guys calling me NELSON, I feel like Im back with my uncle freddy in georgetown SC.

NELSON! get them hogs grouped up! I can hear him now.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Hampshires? Did not know your original quote include head gaskets....

Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Mudding

it says Upper Intake Gaskets = $83.47

Tamworth

Last edited by nelsontod; 05-15-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doing the rockers should only take $50 in tools plus parts and time. Easy afternoon project. Adding the heads is a weekend if you need no machine work done. And not much more in parts.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Three Wheeling

those aren't the head gaskets people are mentioning.....no offense, but I now think that you should have the shop do the job for you. I would seriously consider the advice given above and do some soul searching to see if you are prepared to own a Land Rover. $$$$$ + time + LR = either fun/learning or head ache/ money pit. I would decide sooner than later which one your LR is too you.

advntrjnky

Originally Posted by nelsontod
it says Upper Intake Gaskets = $83.47

Tamworth

Quick Reply: Quoted $1100 for all 16 rocker arms replaced.. cant I do just the bad 1 myself?