Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Quoted $1100 for all 16 rocker arms replaced.. cant I do just the bad 1 myself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

425 to do right side rockers, no head gasket. I think thats pretty good. I dont know why they put head gasket on there. It just kind of prooves they want to make money I guess. I told them to skip the heads, and do only the easy right side, which is in fact where the tick is. Why I had to go through all this crap is beyond me. Why didnt they say the tick is on the right side and we can do it for 425 from the start really annoys me, but i will get over it. And, for the record, I have actually made up the difference from the original quote with wasting my time and all of yours...so, therefore, call Parents Garage in Minneapolis and tell them they owe you money.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Well it brings to mind the recent thread where a young lady bought a Discovery and the head gasket kit and her "Mechanic" only used a portion of the items in the kit and she wanted to know how she could sell the remaining pieces because only one side was "bad". She alrady had it fixed and sold it because she knew she could not possibly afford to keep it.

What that told me is that not all "Mechanics" or some who claim to be are actually doing what you might expect to be done in a repair.

What you need to do is: (1) Either learn a lot more about the vehicle and what should be done or (2) Find someone really qualified who will do it correctly the first time at a legitimate price, or (3) accept the reality that a LR Discovery may not be the bet vehicle for you to own.

Unless you can either tackle a lot yourself or have the funds to pay someone to do it for you, A Discovery is not the ideal vehicle to own. We see a lot of NEWBIES that turn into a ONE HIT WONDER.
Yes, but look at it....

Attached Thumbnails Quoted 00 for all 16 rocker arms replaced.. cant I do just the bad 1 myself?-rover2.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Three Wheeling

I wouldn't get down on the shop for how they quoted the jobs. It just shows what little knowledge you have about Land Rover Discovery. Discovery are notorious for having head gaskets leak and they were probably actually trying to save you money in the long run. That's because they would have to take everything off again that they would have just done to fix you valve tick to do a head job. The shop sounds like its prices are very reasonable.

advntrjnky

Originally Posted by nelsontod
425 to do right side rockers, no head gasket. I think thats pretty good. I dont know why they put head gasket on there. It just kind of prooves they want to make money I guess. I told them to skip the heads, and do only the easy right side, which is in fact where the tick is. Why I had to go through all this crap is beyond me. Why didnt they say the tick is on the right side and we can do it for 425 from the start really annoys me, but i will get over it. And, for the record, I have actually made up the difference from the original quote with wasting my time and all of yours...so, therefore, call Parents Garage in Minneapolis and tell them they owe you money.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by advntrjnky
I wouldn't get down on the shop for how they quoted the jobs. It just shows what little knowledge you have about Land Rover Discovery. Discovery are notorious for having head gaskets leak and they were probably actually trying to save you money in the long run. That's because they would have to take everything off again that they would have just done to fix you valve tick to do a head job. The shop sounds like its prices are very reasonable.

advntrjnky
Is this true? do they have to take off the heads? I looked at it, I don't see a need to take off the heads..?

No matter, you are right about their prices being very reasonable.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you have a ticking sound from rockers, you can press a stick or long screwdriver on the valve cover, and put your ear against it. It will allow you to hear sounds from inside the cover with engine running. Try it.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Is this true? do they have to take off the heads? I looked at it, I don't see a need to take off the heads..?

No matter, you are right about their prices being very reasonable.

Ok, you totally are not getting it, not trying to be a jerk, but you dont understand or are confused.
The ONLY thing they need to remove to do the rocker's is the valve cover.
Yes they need to move a few things out of the way, but the intake stays on, 4 bolts and the valve cover comes off head stays in place.
Next is the bolts that hold the rocker shaft on, push rods will stay in place.
Thats it, that is all that is involved.

But here is my point, and the shops, and probably your confusion, head gaskets on these trucks blow like a fat man loves a all you can eat buffet.
So to save you money, do everything at once.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Mudding

Problem solved,
thanks gang!

/thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem solved,
thanks gang!

/thread
really? how bro?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He probably gave up and sold it. He thinks it looks good but he has yet to get over the emanored high of falling in love with the Green Oval.

Standing near the ledge of a steep dropoff is a beauatiful view also, like from a cliff overhooking a beach hundreds of fet below, until you gtet a little to close to the edge.............