Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Quoted $1100 for all 16 rocker arms replaced.. cant I do just the bad 1 myself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: yes, head gaskets and rockers and valve cover gaskets. Both sides. 4 hours labor at 101.00 an hour.

Perhaps some of the pro shop members will comment. Hours seem about 1/3 of normal. Don't see machine shop work. But perhaps that is because they are doing HG as preventative measure, as suggested by Spike. Don't recall threads of "shop said drop it off in AM and have HG's done by lunch."

As for driving while ticking, might get away with it, might cause more damage. Does an oil additive make any significant reduction in the noise (like Marvel Mystery Oil - thin - to get into tight places; or SeaFoam - solvent - to eat away some gunk; or Lucas - thick - to fill in worn spots)? You can actually remove the valve cover and run engine and observe the rocker arms, oil will dribble out, but does not flood the engine bay.

BTW, no one is trying to be difficult, and we all have slightly different opinions. It helps if you give as much information up front as possible.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-16-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:32 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be getting it fixed within the month. At that point the shop will be doing both sides.

everyone has been very helpful.

Last edited by nelsontod; 05-16-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If they do head gaskets for this, and 16 rocker arms, and you are happy with them, please post their name and location, because that is less than half price for many head gasket jobs by some indy shops. The head gasket kit of parts and bolts is on the order of $300, you can buy some cheaper, and the kit includes valve seals, which would be good to do at same time.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Mudding

well, I just called the shop and asked for a quote for just the right (easy) side with no intake gasket replacement. We will see what they come back with in a few hours. Im hoping its in the 400 to 500 range.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Mudding

Just to be clear, I dont need to replace the headgasket on the right side right? its only the left side that you need to replace the headgasket if you do that side..? I understand if you do the left side you might as well do the right, but I am considering only doing the right side and can therefore skip the head gasket?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by nelsontod
Just to be clear, I dont need to replace the headgasket on the right side right? its only the left side that you need to replace the headgasket if you do that side..? I understand if you do the left side you might as well do the right, but I am considering only doing the right side and can therefore skip the head gasket?
Head gaskets have nothing to do with this job. And it is impossible to replace the head gasket without removing the intake.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Head gaskets have nothing to do with this job. And it is impossible to replace the head gasket without removing the intake.
i keep hearing to do headgaskets when you are doing rockers. and to do all the rockers. im worried about not machining the heads properly.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Pro Wrench

id pay $1100 for my tick to go away and no coolant seepage for another 100K. i think the tick does effect power.

um i wonder if the hp gauge in my ultragauge will tell me if my power is suffering.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by nelsontod
yes, head gaskets and rockers and valve cover gaskets. Both sides. 4 hours labor at 101.00 an hour.

4 hours to do head gaskets? That may be a new land speed record

Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well it brings to mind the recent thread where a young lady bought a Discovery and the head gasket kit and her "Mechanic" only used a portion of the items in the kit and she wanted to know how she could sell the remaining pieces because only one side was "bad". She alrady had it fixed and sold it because she knew she could not possibly afford to keep it.

What that told me is that not all "Mechanics" or some who claim to be are actually doing what you might expect to be done in a repair.

What you need to do is: (1) Either learn a lot more about the vehicle and what should be done or (2) Find someone really qualified who will do it correctly the first time at a legitimate price, or (3) accept the reality that a LR Discovery may not be the bet vehicle for you to own.

Unless you can either tackle a lot yourself or have the funds to pay someone to do it for you, A Discovery is not the ideal vehicle to own. We see a lot of NEWBIES that turn into a ONE HIT WONDER.

Quick Reply: Quoted $1100 for all 16 rocker arms replaced.. cant I do just the bad 1 myself?