Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Removed the K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
You don't need the whole head gasket set just to do the valley pan gasket. All you need is about a $30 gasket set.

K&N's claim to fame is better breathing. The only way to do that is to pass more air. The only way to pass more air is larger pores in the filter. Larger pores lets through more dirt.
With all due respect, this is inaccurate. One way to pass more air is to increase the number of "pores" with additional surface area. That is why filters are fluted and why some are more fluted and have more filter media than others. Another way is technology, and K&N is an example of that. Paper elements simply use a different technology than the K&N oiled filter media. K&N can use a less restrictive media because the oil attracts and traps the the smaller contaminants. The paper element uses a physical screening process as you describe. There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say, but in the case of the K&N, it is more work and can potentially contribute to problems if done wrong.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You're right, there are other ways to pass more air. Unfortunately the way K&N does it lets more dirt pass. Independent air filter comparisons have shown that.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
You're right, there are other ways to pass more air. Unfortunately the way K&N does it lets more dirt pass. Independent air filter comparisons have shown that.
Not defending K&N at all. Tried it, didn't like it for several reasons. Returned to quality dry filter media. Just saying...

Do you happen to have a link to the test you are referring to? I'd be interested in reading it if it's still out there.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

One was done by Bob the Oil guy.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
I've seen others, but didn't bother to save the URL.
Google is probably your friend.