Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Removing Theft Alarm System

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the Micro manufacturers have moved far beyond what was available when the 1997 Disco was built, including Atmel.

As far as info goes, nothing I will or have said will allow anyone to duplicate what I plan to do unless they've got a ton of equipment. time & expertise. Moreover, it applies to trucks built more than 10 years ago, and still requires you to unlock the doors & ignition with a key.

Also, the emulator would still require that you have the alarm, remote & key to generate the code for it to record.

It's not possible to steal a truck using the methods I'm talking about. It's to REPLACE the theft alarm, not eliminate it.

My more modern cars have no immobilization features of any kind. I like the starter disable, but that's plenty.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone steals my truck, they'd have to fix it.

The following users liked this post:
Irishflyer (07-30-2020)
Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling

In a lot of cases, they'd have to fix the truck BEFORE they could steal it. :-)

Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default immobilizer bypass on 1998 with no spider behind radio

Where is the theft immobilizer on the 1998 disco. I have a 1995 disco and the spider is behind the radio. I have the shop man. and wiring diagram for the 1998 but cant make heads or tails of it. And has any one bypassed this with out rewiring.

I can get it started with a screw driver across the coil on the starter and it will try to start with the key but the red dash indicator comes on and then it stops trying to start please help before I strip the truck for parts.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default By pass the immobilizer

Take the two wires on the green box (one of the plugs) that are black and orange/red looking stripped tie them together make sure you leave enough wire there in case you have to reconnect for some reason. Tie both wires together and that will disable the immobilizer. I did this last night now my 98 disco starts with no issues and all cab lights and features work fin will post pics this weekend if needed. Any questions please respond.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 rover
Take the two wires on the green box (one of the plugs) that are black and orange/red looking stripped tie them together make sure you leave enough wire there in case you have to reconnect for some reason. Tie both wires together and that will disable the immobilizer. I did this last night now my 98 disco starts with no issues and all cab lights and features work fin will post pics this weekend if needed. Any questions please respond.
Could you be more specific? Where is this "green box" of which you speak?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Rock Crawling

This depends on how the 1996 and later theft alarm is configured. There are a number of options, but basically the alarm can be configured to diable the starter (passive mode), disable the Engine Controller (active mode) or both. If the alarm is configured for active mode, you can't remove it.

The "green box" (the actual theft alarm) is behind the glove box, along side the ABS controller.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Steal my truck - pleeeze!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gprtech
This depends on how the 1996 and later theft alarm is configured. There are a number of options, but basically the alarm can be configured to diable the starter (passive mode), disable the Engine Controller (active mode) or both. If the alarm is configured for active mode, you can't remove it.

The "green box" (the actual theft alarm) is behind the glove box, along side the ABS controller.
You mean configure the ECM? If the ECM is still expecting the mobilize code to start the engine, how would configuring the alarm unit be of any use?

Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling

No, configure the theft alarm. I'm not sure how the disabling occurs, tbut I do know that I used a Bearmach Hawkeye scanner to disable that feature on my 97 Disco.

Last edited by gprtech; 07-18-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing Theft Alarm System