Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Left it home and got 35 MPG driving my Nissan too and from the ski resort. Then I added a gas strut to my cargo area toolbox.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 04-05-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Left it home and got 35 MPG driving my Nissan too and from the ski resort. Then I added a gas strut to my cargo area toolbox.
Geeeeze MG...how antisocial. Where do you put your friends and pitbull. I love the toolbox idea and contemplated putting one in that would lock to the floor and be easy to remove. I'm working on a quick release system for those back seats. I turned those body bolts around and am thinking to make two corresponding holes in a box that I could get at in the bottom of the box. Then put a good lock on the box. Get it. Then I have seats when I want them and a box for when it's a work truck.

Today (yesterday really) I scrubbed out my roof rails and re caulked em with black 3M marine sealant in prep for my final roof push. I had to pull a bunch of moths out of them this morning but it'll seal up great when I go over it with the KBS.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by zappy
I did this.
congrats on your new truck. now you don't have to fix it.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I opted for the heavier duty expanded metal grille with two layers so that you do see thru it.
i still want to see this and the chivas case.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
Geeeeze MG...how antisocial. Where do you put your friends and pitbull.
Are you referring to my placement of the tool box, or the fact that I drove the Nissan yesterday? Because the toolbox doesn't interfere with the attack dog or the friends. Kennel sits right on top of the toolbox, seats can fold up or down, toolbox can open with the seats in any position. Of course it can't open with the kennel on top, but it's easy enough to move the kennel.

As for the Nissan, yes I was anti-social yesterday. Wife went to work, dog stayed home, and I went to the ski resort. In fact I was one of the only people on the mountain, it was great.

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
I love the toolbox idea and contemplated putting one in that would lock to the floor and be easy to remove. I'm working on a quick release system for those back seats. I turned those body bolts around and am thinking to make two corresponding holes in a box that I could get at in the bottom of the box. Then put a good lock on the box. Get it. Then I have seats when I want them and a box for when it's a work truck.
I don't have a quick-release solution for the seats, but for the tool box, you could use some gate latches like this:

Affix the male end to the bottom of the toolbox, and the female end to the floor. You could even lock it down with padlocks if desired, though if your door locks work that wouldn't be necessary.

EDIT: I just got what you were saying about putting the box in place of the seats. I was assuming you'd put it behind the rear seats like I did when I wrote the above response.

EDIT: Oops, jumped the gun on those gate latches. I just remembered that with that style it's gravity that holds them closed. So rotated 90° they wouldn't function properly. But a similar solution might exist.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 04-06-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I gutted the interior, removing everything except the front seats and dash. All that plastic, headliner, and rear seats are for sissies

Now I'm contemplating what to fabricate. I'm thinking troop carrier style bench seats over the wheel wells. Possibly a removable bunk bed platform for in-truck sleeping with storage below. Or a custom made center console. Either way it'll all be coated in ceramic lizard skin and sound deadening.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
I gutted the interior, removing everything except the front seats and dash. All that plastic, headliner, and rear seats are for sissies

Now I'm contemplating what to fabricate. I'm thinking troop carrier style bench seats over the wheel wells. Possibly a removable bunk bed platform for in-truck sleeping with storage below. Or a custom made center console. Either way it'll all be coated in ceramic lizard skin and sound deadening.
that sounds awesome... make sure you post pics

Old 04-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the tool box, Goat! I've been contemplating something similar but with drawers. My thought is to use heavy duty server rails off ebay. Some of those things are rated to hold 400+ lbs.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by skorten
I love the tool box, Goat! I've been contemplating something similar but with drawers. My thought is to use heavy duty server rails off ebay. Some of those things are rated to hold 400+ lbs.
Thanks!

Go to a local electrical supply store. I don't know what you have in your area but here we have Platt. Find a store that specializes in datacom. Ask for Leviton, Panduit, or similar quality. Then they'll think you know what you're talking about.

You'll save on shipping and likely get a better product.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Pro Wrench

Picked up the rover with the new winch bumper and sliders. Now its time to paint!
Name:  bumer1.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  95.6 KB
Name:  bumper2.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  111.5 KB
Name:  slider.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  135.3 KB

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?