Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lol...

Sorry... I could not resist the subject....

ADRIANA LIMA IS BEAT AFTER A TOUGH WEEKEND IN THE BUSH

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-adriana-lima-land-rover.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SO you guys going 33" plus I recommend spending the $$ on some flexy flares. I liked mine naked too but I opened it up a lot more with them and it makes it look a bit cleaner. I used blind rivets on mine and they seem to be on there pretty good. And it they rip thru I can always drill it out and put different hardware in. The fronts sit a little higher than the rears because I had to open it up more cause it was still rubbing a bit on the front fender but I dont think it turned out bad..

Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jake,

That looks super nice. Now that you've wheeled it for a while with 4.10s(?) and 35s, does it seem to have plenty of power? Or is it still a bit of a dog? Are you using stock Rover axles with upgraded halfshafts and HD gears, or what did you do to strengthen them?

MG

Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Jake,

That looks super nice. Now that you've wheeled it for a while with 4.10s(?) and 35s, does it seem to have plenty of power? Or is it still a bit of a dog? Are you using stock Rover axles with upgraded halfshafts and HD gears, or what did you do to strengthen them?

MG
Oh man it does great, it's a blast. I could and probably will go lower later if I regear the t-case for the highway but it didnt have any problems in the rocks. It's a good combo of street and trail.

stock axles? I have way too much money in my diffs with lockers and gears to risk blowing them up with stock axles.. I have Rovertracks front axles and CV's and Ashcroft axles in the rear. I would recommend those two companies, especially Ashcroft for gears and axles.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Oh man it does great, it's a blast. I could and probably will go lower later if I regear the t-case for the highway but it didnt have any problems in the rocks. It's a good combo of street and trail.

stock axles? I have way too much money in my diffs with lockers and gears to risk blowing them up with stock axles.. I have Rovertracks front axles and CV's and Ashcroft axles in the rear. I would recommend those two companies, especially Ashcroft for gears and axles.
I meant the housings, they are still Rover right? But the shafts and gears are not? And the t-case is stock gearing? I didn't know it could be regeared.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I meant the housings, they are still Rover right? But the shafts and gears are not? And the t-case is stock gearing? I didn't know it could be regeared.

Oh yea the housings are stock - no real need to change those as they are plenty strong and you can do a toyota conversion to the housing if HD rover stuff isnt enough.

A lot of the defenders came standard with 1.4 t-cases vs the 1.2 the Discos have. Doesnt effect your low range so you can fine tune what you gear your diffs to and still keeps it going on the highway.

Ashcroft Transmissions or just find a 1.4 t-case on d-90 source and we already discussed the UNDERDRIVE!!! my dream.. You can pretty much do whatever you want as long as you have $$$$

Last edited by Jake1996D1; 04-16-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Winching

Oh yea the housings are stock - no real need to change those as they are plenty strong and you can do a toyota conversion to the housing if HD rover stuff isnt enough.

A lot of the defenders came standard with 1.4 t-cases vs the 1.2 the Discos have. Doesnt effect your low range but if you regear your diffs to something crazy like 4.75+ then you will have have a wider range between lo and hi if that makes sense.

Ashcroft Transmissions or just find a 1.4 t-case on d-90 source and we already discussed the UNDERDRIVE!!! my dream.. You can pretty much do whatever you want as long as you have $$$$
That makes sense, I'm adding a 1.4 t-case to my "to do when I have the $$$" list, because I'm sure it will rev a bit high on the highway after I re-gear. Seems like a nearly perfect solution actually.

EDIT, after looking at the Ashcroft link, a 1.4 t-case gear would gear you lower in high range, resulting in less of a gap between high and low range.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 04-16-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle

That makes sense, I'm adding a 1.4 t-case to my "to do when I have the $$$" list, because I'm sure it will rev a bit high on the highway after I re-gear. Seems like a nearly perfect solution actually.

Sorry had to do an edit the 1.4 is higher so it will make it rev even higher which is why it was paired with stock rover diffs and the bigger tires defenders come with stock. So more of a solution for somebody not waiting to run re-geared diffs. With that said they also have a 1.003 that would help with the revs.

My truck runs at around 2500 rpm on the highway at 65-70ish. I am happy with it

Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Winching

Sorry had to do an edit the 1.4 is higher so it will make it rev even higher which is why it was paired with stock rover diffs and the bigger tires defenders come with stock. So more of a solution for somebody not waiting to run re-geared diffs. With that said they also have a 1.003 that would help with the revs.

My truck runs at around 2500 rpm on the highway at 65-70ish. I am happy with it
I saw that. Then again, I don't want to gear the diffs so low that my speedo is totally out of range, so maybe TC gearing would be overkill (underkill?).

Yeah mine runs about the same, 2600 at 70 IIRC. Then again that 70 is probably more like 80 due to my tire size on stock gears...

Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I saw that. Then again, I don't want to gear the diffs so low that my speedo is totally out of range, so maybe TC gearing would be overkill (underkill?).

Yeah mine runs about the same, 2600 at 70 IIRC. Then again that 70 is probably more like 80 due to my tire size on stock gears...
Actually my speedo is only off by like 5mph give or take. If you have a smart phone download a free speedo ap or use a gps - I doubt your 10 MPH off. I also bet at 75ish your at 2500.

Yes the t-case would likely be "underkill" especially with 32's and 4.11's

Play with this - Ashcroft Transmissions - Ratio Calculator I wouldnt count on it for exact accuracy but gives you a good idea of what you're looking at

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?