Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually had some time to clean up some of the drips on the drive way.....lol

Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
That's funny. When I wired my roof and bumper lights I specifically wired them straight to the battery. I can use them with headlights on or off and with the truck on or off.
Personal preference I guess. Did you use a relay for your lights and a fuse?
The fancy pants electrical guys wire their switches so by activating the switch it closes the ground not the hot. Safer or something, but I never did it that way, LOL.

Oh yeah yeah yeah, the roof lights aren't on switched power, they're right to the battery (via a fuse block) but i'm saying the glowing zombie lights on the switches themselves are on headlight only power, just like a normal interior indicator light, so they'll light up only when the headlights are on, like evrything else in the interior.

I'm using 5-pin relays and im doing it the only way i know how which is to close the hot. but it should be good and safe. I just blew a giant hole in my firewall to pass all the wire through and now i need to finish the under hood wiring so i can move up to the rack and tie in up there.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by turf63
Oh yeah yeah yeah, the roof lights aren't on switched power, they're right to the battery (via a fuse block) but i'm saying the glowing zombie lights on the switches themselves are on headlight only power, just like a normal interior indicator light, so they'll light up only when the headlights are on, like evrything else in the interior.

I'm using 5-pin relays and im doing it the only way i know how which is to close the hot. but it should be good and safe. I just blew a giant hole in my firewall to pass all the wire through and now i need to finish the under hood wiring so i can move up to the rack and tie in up there.
Ok Gotcha. Sounds like a good install.
I got a roll of the 4-flat trailer wire when I ran my roof lights. It was nice because it kept all the wires together and in a thin profile. Also made it easier to snake the wires behind the dash.

In keeping with the spirit of this thread I tweaked my steering last night.
I used the torx screw on top to adjust my steering box. I also cranked on the drop arm nut with a cheater bar to taken the slop out of where the arm meets the box. Steering is a little harder but definitely tighter too. Now I don't look like s bad TV show when I'm driving, constantly turning the wheel slightly left and right just to go in a straight line.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I'm a D2 guy but I am way into my heater core repair right now. Here she is with the dash removed, HVAC about ready to remove. I think my truck is telling, me "You have no idea what hell I can bring you!".

Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

holy **** bro. Thats a lot of wires. I'd wirte your truck for everything you may think you could ever need while you're in there. I'm talking stereo, cb, flat screens, roof lights, thats crazy, and i know i'd never want it to look like that twice.

Yeesh. Do the d2's have the alarm ecu spider thing too? Get that thing out if they do

Old 05-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The wire actually isn't so intimidating. Most of the wires can only connect to certain places, and I have some photos for reference but I'm sure it will be annoying at some point.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.....the D2 is definitely harder to work on in most spots....i'm learning that part by part on both. somethings are the same but really it's a different beast. i can only imagine how some of the new landrovers are going to be to self maintain.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put back my jumpseats and all belts. i'm leaving the third seat in the 2nd row out of the truck for now. now i enjoy a long left hand side for long stuff. so it's an SE6. I cracked the rear door handlatch...fug...jb weld and SEM paint time.

I got the passenger front window working but failed on the rear. I don't know how i did it but it seems i have the wrong side motor on the last window. i did have 4-5 regulators and motors out of the 2 trucks. Every other window on the 2 trucks works now*. THANKS AGAIN LINCOLN FOR THAT WINDOW MOTOR AND OTHER BITS!

Finishing up my ghetto grill finally. Getting that ready to complete front end.

Contemplated roof redo, bearings job, D2 headgasket among other things.

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 05-01-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: give props
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today (technically yesterday) I fixed my death wobble. It was extra fun because initially I torqued the bolt down too much and ripped out the threads in the aluminum block. Had to drill it out and use a bolt/ nut with some thread locker. It took a lot longer than I planned but I'm happy with the result.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tossed on a grille guard, swapped rims and tires with a recently blown up RRC , drained tranny fluid and changed plugs. Gotta say, plugs are a huge difference. she runs so much better now. Word of caution, broke down yesterday. In stop and go traffic the old black cap on the radiator blew clean off. After a few shenaigans , including a trip to a dealer and a 2 mile walk to Autozone , i was back in business. If you havent swapped this plug out yet. Do it. Ive never seen anything like it. It left an indentation on the hood liner and sheared clean off and puked almost 2 gallons of coolant .The new ones are solid plastic , not hollow like the old. Gonna follow Spkies advice and get a copper plug as a full time replacement . Gonna follow Ed's advice and get a 180 stat and get the rad boored and flushed . These seem to be major weak spots on such a big engine.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?