Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavic19
Nothing too big. Just changed the fuel filter and spark plugs. Are NGK-R copper series the go-to plug for these? That's what was in it and what I replaced them with. Just curious what everyone else has found luck with.

Next weekend will be tackling changing out the wheel and swivel bearings. Got the rebuild kit on order so hopefully it arrives on time.
Regular old copper Champion or AutoLite work pretty well. The NGK should be fine if they're just the coppers and nothing fancy like quadruple platinum.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default money offer..

Today I pulled what looks like brand new brakes and rotors from my "donor" and I have discovered that the location of the front 17mm bolt that holds the brake line mount at the top must be the greatest cause of destroyed swivel joints.

Per the RAVE you must place those two bolts back in place to prevent the loss of swivel oil while you continue with brake or bearing work.

That is impossible as the time spent taking out the front bolt at 1/16th of a turn at a time due to the location of the brake line left my swivels dry!!

I would love to pay one of you fabricators out there $100.00 for replacement brake line mounts that will allow a socket on that PITArss front bolt!!
Has anyone else considered that?

I know .. another newbie and another newbie rant... Still love er

Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

two potato pictures of my gauges.. sun was shining right into my windshield in the parking garage at work

Name:  Vnmf3oD.png
Views: 3
Size:  1.40 MB

Name:  spv41bd.png
Views: 3
Size:  1.47 MB

obv the oil pres and trans temp gauges are hooked up

Old 07-21-2014, 06:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3846
two potato pictures of my gauges.. sun was shining right into my windshield in the parking garage at work

obv the oil pres and trans temp gauges are hooked up
after seeing yours up there I may follow suite looks good. Did you think about putting in the the tray right behind that location looks like you angled it slightly though. thanks for the help on the wiring. Are your cables running the tray?

Last edited by HammerFit; 07-21-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Most swivels have been updated to one shot grease. It doesn't fall out or anything with the swivel pin out. If you need to add grease or oil you do it through the square headed bolt in the side of the swivels. I notched my brake line bracket with an angle grinder so I could swing a gear wrench in there. I also notched a slice out of the square whole that holds the brake line in it. That way I can get the bracket on and off with out opening the brake line.

Originally Posted by rickroverover
Today I pulled what looks like brand new brakes and rotors from my "donor" and I have discovered that the location of the front 17mm bolt that holds the brake line mount at the top must be the greatest cause of destroyed swivel joints.

Per the RAVE you must place those two bolts back in place to prevent the loss of swivel oil while you continue with brake or bearing work.

That is impossible as the time spent taking out the front bolt at 1/16th of a turn at a time due to the location of the brake line left my swivels dry!!

I would love to pay one of you fabricators out there $100.00 for replacement brake line mounts that will allow a socket on that PITArss front bolt!!
Has anyone else considered that?

I know .. another newbie and another newbie rant... Still love er

Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by HammerFit
after seeing yours up there I may follow suite looks good. Did you think about putting in the the tray right behind that location looks like you angled it slightly though. thanks for the help on the wiring. Are your cables running the tray?
i played with a few spots and liked this one best. probably would have been better set back into the dash closer to the windshield but that would have meant i'd have to redo some of the wiring and i didnt want to do that again. i never use that tray anyway.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3846
i played with a few spots and liked this one best. probably would have been better set back into the dash closer to the windshield but that would have meant i'd have to redo some of the wiring and i didnt want to do that again. i never use that tray anyway.
What about on the wiper cowl outside the windshield? Like the fuel pressure gauge on a hot rod. It would certainly make running the wires easier. You could use individual gauge cups painted black to keep the workings out of sight and weather. Just a thought.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
What about on the wiper cowl outside the windshield? Like the fuel pressure gauge on a hot rod. It would certainly make running the wires easier. You could use individual gauge cups painted black to keep the workings out of sight and weather. Just a thought.
meh, not my thing.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just dropped it off to get dark tint. Gonna put some money in sound system, don't want to give anyone a look inside.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Made a good start for a winch bumper. Had the winch laying around since I sold the arb and I wanted it back on the truck for volr this weekend. Got the idea from Tom on the design but since I dont know how to weld yet I couldn't fab up any frame mount so I got some 4x6 rectangle tube with 1/4" wall and a winch plate from harbor freight ,some drilling and a few bolts later I ended up with this

Name:  71E28CFC-FFBF-48E3-BFB4-138185B4F7FE.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  144.2 KB

With all the metal I added being 1/4 it's pretty beefy where as the what I had before was a crappy chopped d2 bumper that wouldn't survive a mild bump. this has me feeling a tad safer. Had to cut the grill a little bit but it's all good, I didn't want the thing to stick out a mile. I'm happy with it, needs some plate welded on to the 45 angle and something to branch off and protect the lower headlight area but for now it'll do it's job as intended. I also have to say that it balances the truck out , I can definitely feel it going over bumps and in turns. Name:  07FE6FA3-7619-4654-A9D3-F5B57184C729.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  D0EC8E26-54FE-4F54-A29A-2F67E18C11E1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  97.3 KB

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?