Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Most swivels have been updated to one shot grease. It doesn't fall out or anything with the swivel pin out. If you need to add grease or oil you do it through the square headed bolt in the side of the swivels. I notched my brake line bracket with an angle grinder so I could swing a gear wrench in there. I also notched a slice out of the square whole that holds the brake line in it. That way I can get the bracket on and off with out opening the brake line.
Thanks for that -- the donor let some water out followed by some black oil. My daily just pooped out some black oil that the shop I took it to topped off last year - before I got the b*lls to start doing my own work. Can you tell me what that one shot is all about?

The brakes and rotor are done on the daily but I still have to replace everything on the donor so it can drive to where ever it is going to go.. That one bolt takes a lot out of an old man like me but I have found a way to enlarge the metal dust guard connection and grease it to make things slip back in place better. And wd40 and clearing out the gunk in that hole makes the threading back in easier. I don't look forward to ever being that intimate with the inside of my fender again any time soon.

btw I found out the donor has has had the cats gutted - so the whole idea of getting to the cause of not running right has been reopened ..

thanks for your contributions!!

Old 07-22-2014, 11:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

One shot is a liquidy grease that officially replaces the gear oil found in the swivels. Some guys still run the oil. Some have switched. Huge discussions here on which is better. It's available at most of the vendors we use here. About 15 a tube I think. You simply empty an entire tube in the swivel. Hence the name.

If you had water in your swivels you have a problem. At very least I'd drain and fill them with fresh one shot or oil depending on what's in there.

Otherwise this will be in your very near future

Name:  20131008_185623_zpse3b058da.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  99.6 KB

Old 07-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Mudding

ok .. that is getting intimate with your fender.. Glad the water was in the donor.
That photo shows a clean area considering what you went through.
The more swivels that get rusted out.. The harder they will be to found. I will do what I can to prevent that from happening on even the donor.

Thanks again - I will search for that thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking

Boot/Rear door spring... what a PITA! Definitely take photos of the linkages before hand... I had a thread from another forum on my phone but I messed up the linkages 3 times reassembling... after 2.5 hours I got it right and the rear door now works.

Yesterday was rear driver side door spring...1 hour.

3 more to go!

Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 PM
Mudding

managed to completely disassemble front seat. I knen the drivers seat bottom can be swapped with the passengers (great to minimize the break down on the side we slide in on) but did not know if the backs could be.

Answer? they can if you break the mounts for the head rest.

Other than that you have to release 4 very tight springs, cut 6 or 8 tiny brass clips holding on to a frame member and LOT'S of hard pulling!! I kept the material for future use but the frame went to the trash

Old 07-24-2014, 10:31 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just swapped the whole seats and then switched the seat belt latch brackets around. No problemo and no breaking anything.

Today, I fixed my sticky cargo door latch. A little WD40 and voila! She was opening just fine.

Kicked the tires for a few minutes. Then walked back into the house and ordered my replacement driveline flex plate. The old one has some canyon sized cracks growing in it.

Waiting for payday so I can also order my rebuild kit to replace the front wheel bearings and swivel bearings. Has a nice shudder between 30mph - 45mph. Mainly feels like the right side, but I figure I might as well do both while I'm at it.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured out that the rear hatch of my Disco does, in fact, open. One just has to insert the key and turn counterclockwise whilst (sorry, been reading the owners manual!) pulling the lever.

No joy from inside however.

I also pulled up the rear carpet to see where the fuel pump access is and found almost no rust.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by redfish86
I figured out that the rear hatch of my Disco does, in fact, open. One just has to insert the key and turn counterclockwise whilst (sorry, been reading the owners manual!) pulling the lever.

No joy from inside however.

I also pulled up the rear carpet to see where the fuel pump access is and found almost no rust.
Mine is doing the same thing. I think there's a spring missing or one of those metal arm hook things needs to be adjusted.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Mavic19
I just swapped the whole seats and then switched the seat belt latch brackets around. No problemo and no breaking anything.

Today, I fixed my sticky cargo door latch. A little WD40 and voila! She was opening just fine.

Kicked the tires for a few minutes. Then walked back into the house and ordered my replacement driveline flex plate. The old one has some canyon sized cracks growing in it.

Waiting for payday so I can also order my rebuild kit to replace the front wheel bearings and swivel bearings. Has a nice shudder between 30mph - 45mph. Mainly feels like the right side, but I figure I might as well do both while I'm at it.

yea-but your lumbar supports are now backwards.. I did that to my e30 for a while and having things on the wrong side bugged me. AND it was fun seeing how that back was constructed

Old 07-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by fishEH
Mine is doing the same thing. I think there's a spring missing or one of those metal arm hook things needs to be adjusted.
Indeed it is tiny springs in the locking mechanism that have broken/rusted apart. This "Disco door springs how to" thread on LandyZone has pictures and describes the procedures on how to fix the springs with a 5 spring replacement kit from eBay (or you can purchase the kit directly from the seller Disco-Comtaible-Parts).

Page five shows the front door springs near the bottom of the page.

Once you get to the nitty gritty, it is amazing at how working door handles simplify everything!

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?