Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this fix a dragging rear caliper as well?
I know this kit is for the front only.. Do they have it for the rear brakes?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 97GreenMeanie
Will this fix a dragging rear caliper as well?
I know this kit is for the front only.. Do they have it for the rear brakes?
my fronts arent dragging, the pins and pads are rattling bc the springs to keep them off the rotor are gone. the rears sticking you'll just have to get calipers... i think i ended up paying 45 each after the core from rock auto.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MM3846
my fronts arent dragging, the pins and pads are rattling bc the springs to keep them off the rotor are gone. the rears sticking you'll just have to get calipers... i think i ended up paying 45 each after the core from rock auto.
I was trying to avoid replacing calipers.
I thought the problem causing the sticking was the caliper pins seizing.
Isn't their a repair kit for this instead of replacement?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Winching

the rear doesnt have pins. it looks like a smaller version of the old school 1/2 ton GM fronts.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3846
the rear doesnt have pins. it looks like a smaller version of the old school 1/2 ton GM fronts.
The ears of the rear pads slide on the caliper itself. You could try cleaning up and lubing that area.
British Pacific used to have really good prices on stuff like caliper repair kits. Then Atlantic British bought them out and the good prices disappeared.
So AB offers a Caliper Repair Kit for $34, but who knows what is even in it.
Caliper Piston Kit - Rear (SEE500140 Same Fit As Part # STC1279 ) - Land Rover hydraulics from Atlantic British

Or RockAuto offers remanned calipers for $34 after core return. So really its not even worth the effort to rebuild the calipers yourself.
More Information for CENTRIC 14122504

Old 08-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by fishEH
Or RockAuto offers remanned calipers for $34 after core return. So really its not even worth the effort to rebuild the calipers yourself.
More Information for CENTRIC 14122504
those are what i bought, centric semi-loaded.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof rack madness

'Started getting ready for an all day run through Charouleau Gap in Tucson (Sunday). I haven't put the NATO cans up there yet with the extra fuel and water, but the mount is there. The rack is from: Land Rover Discovery Roof Rack: RRO*Land Rover Discovery Roof Rack

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 08-15-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Mudding

Heard back from the mechanic working on the overheating and power steering leak issues on the '94. He says the fan clutch is bad, because he can practically stop the fan with his hand when it's on, and the PS leak is coming from the part where the steering shaft goes in. He also said the lower part of the radiator is MUCH cooler than the upper part, and he suggested getting the radiator rodded out. I gave him the Hayden fan clutch part number (2991) as the replacement, and told him it should be a direct bolt on, including the stock LR fan (no need to enlarge the bolt holes on the fan). So we'll see if replacing the fan clutch with this Hayden unit, and getting the radiator rodded out will cure the overheating problem. Hopefully, will have the '94 back on the road by this time next week.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Winching

good luck with all that. i think next summer i'll be getting a new rad, but i'll be going with the el cheapo plastic tank one. its nice to have a real temp gauge now so i know exactly whats going on.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove the Disco back home today (~150mi trip) and she did pretty well. It took about 15minutes to put in about 1/2 a tank of gas however so thats going to have to be looked at. I'm guessing the vent hose is plugged or something.

Took another trip to the junkyard the other day and found some of the snap in rails that go between the two roof rails. Scored the three snap in rails and two seatbelt latches for another vehicle for $10 so was pretty happy about that. My roof rack should actually be useful to put something on finally.

I also realized the other day that the rear door leaks when it rains hard out. I'm guessing that the root cause was the latch only having one of two screws in it. Added the second screw when I got home today so will take the hose to the disco tomorrow and see if she leaks still.

Noticed there is still a coolant leak from around a couple of small lines running up the front of the passenger head.

Also noticed there were a couple drips under the transfer case which appears to be my biggest leak currently. Going to check fluid levels and make sure she isn't running dry.

So today I basically added a bunch of stuff to my Disco to-do list.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?