Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A bit of detailing

I keep sorting things out, the coolant tank had that disgusting yellow. So some satin paint, looks shinier on the photo.

Some paint

The following 2 users liked this post by Moab63:
dcphotos (12-06-2022), Greg_M (12-02-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 07:05 PM
Drifting
Default Repaired the

Mirror control switch, the broken wired controlled the up/down of the right mirror had to use a standard connector to make it happen. The actual switch, was cleaned using some hifi technique.

Switch mirrors

The following users liked this post:
dcphotos (12-06-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 02:59 PM
Drifting
Default Backdoor window regulator

When I first test rode the disco, I noticed the the window didn't work but the motor did. I came from BMW world, so all you do is get the plastic thingy and replace the busted one and your power window works again. My surprise, land rover doesn't sell that, a new regulator assy not a chance. So after searching all over, finally found one on ebay(machined)

ROLLER
Get all the tools ready, a dremel and other misc tools

The tool
Now you don't get any instructions with the exception of some photos. They don't mention the grinding the old post off. Which I figured out beforehand. Secure the part and gently grind away.

The part to grind off, gently is a very tight press fit
The regulator was filthy and dry grease.

Really bad focus, but it was super filthy
After the removing the post, I cleaned the regulator.

Clean and greased
The new roller installed, now like I said before no instructions. So you have to pin it, to the end to secure it. The question is how much, I started with a punch to flair out the hole provided then with a ballpin hammer, I pinned it. The real question is how much, no numbers are available I got it tight enough and we'll see. Using my logic the roller doesn't really need to roll, sliding will do fine(BMW) style.

Roller installed and pinned. I also primed the area where I did the grinding.
The you "have to remove the rail" because it needs to be attached to the regulator. But more importantly you need to bend back the ends of the rail, so you can slide the roller in. Don't try to remove it, without removing the door handle lever, is much easier to install everything, don't cross thread stuff.

Two bolts hold it in place, 8mm
The offending broken part.

The reason your window no worky!
Then you slide the rail, into your new roller. Make sure you install it facing the correct way. Then you will play around a bit, what I did is I installed the rail back to the window, carefully used the control to get the motor bracket into place and put the 4 bolts back in. Then check everything, Make sure that the rail bolts, are torqued correctly. Then I put grease or lube around the door mechanism, everything is dry and needs it. I also put some deoxit of the switch and cleaned the inside of the door. Done, I already ordered a few more of the rollers for the next one.

Reason people, want California, Arizona cars.
I cleaned the inside, the used a heat gun to make sure it was dry. then some wax. Then admire your work

The following 2 users liked this post by Moab63:
Greg_M (12-13-2022), jastutte (12-13-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 11:35 AM
Drifting
Default The Sahara grill build

The front fascia is a bit busted, so I decided to do the grill “mod” had the Dremel out. So I measured a bit and then some tape. The trickiest part is to get, the nice radius. Then I just grabbed some wire I had there. Using my forming tool, got lined up.
The placing of the grill takes time because the slight curvature.
Anyway I have it setup and happy with. Next is the securing the grill. I have a couple of ideas.
As soon as I get a nice piece of plastic I’ll do it again.

As it looks now, before it gets secured

Took a while to get it set correctly, at least according to me.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:34 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alternator

My battery started going completly flat every few days. I only drive the disco about once a week or less. I finally figured out it was the alternator. I had replaced the Bosch one a few months ago with one from AutoZone so it was still under warranty. Seems to have solved the problem. Anyone have a better alternator life span with other suppliers? ie RockAuto, AtlanticBritish. They all seem about the same price. I wonder if they all utimately come from the same rebuilder...

Moab63 (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 04:06 PM
Drifting
Default That might be the case

Originally Posted by britishtoys
My battery started going completly flat every few days. I only drive the disco about once a week or less. I finally figured out it was the alternator. I had replaced the Bosch one a few months ago with one from AutoZone so it was still under warranty. Seems to have solved the problem. Anyone have a better alternator life span with other suppliers? ie RockAuto, AtlanticBritish. They all seem about the same price. I wonder if they all utimately come from the same rebuilder...
on alternators, the norm was many years. But the thing that’s faulty 80% of the time is the brushes the part tha wears the fastest. I ordered a full rebuild kit for mine.

JohnZo (12-20-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 06:20 PM
Drifting
Default Grill mod

My desert grill is moving along, but I decided to do it a bit different. The original idea and parts didn’t work the way I expected. Only the top rivets left to do. This is a working prototype, as soon as I find a nice plastic, I’ll do a new one.

Sahara(desert) grill mod, with rivets for a more macho look 😂👀

My Sahara (desert) grill mod, using rivets for a more macho look 👀 😂

Last edited by Moab63; 12-28-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Drifting
Default Grill mock-up time

Mocking up the desert grill, not perfect but ok..As soon as a nice plastic is found I will redo the grill

Checking the grill out

Last edited by Moab63; 01-12-2023 at 07:02 PM.
AlWorms (01-19-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 11:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default D1 continued maintenance and repairs

Had to replace a two year old new radiator with a proper radiator. Lesson learnt: Use proper parts.

Replacing five shocks to Emus and coils too. Brake lines already done. It’ll add about 2” in lift. I didn’t realize that the suspension has more articulation then the brake lines allow.

Replacing rear prop shaft from original flexi-coupling to double U joints.

TBD. Full suspension bushings. Replace Cats (rattling inside when hot)

Moab63 (01-16-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 02:49 PM
TReK
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

Took a picture... very distinctive silhouette. And changed oil and filter.

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-img_9265.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by WaltNYC:
jastutte (02-22-2023), ProfGriff (02-21-2023)

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?