Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Starter Issue??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Issue??

So a while back I replaced a fuse on my '97 and (coincidentally??) it wouldn't start afterwards. Nothing. All the lights would come on, radio worked, I would hear a click coming from the dash (somewhere on the passengers side) but that's it. Since then, I've toyed with it off and on but mostly have just let the battery die (plus it's been really freaking cold)... It was fairly warm Sunday and I wasn't work so I thought it would be a perfect day to tinker around with it. Went out, hooked some jumper cables to it waited a few minutes and it started to crank. However it was a very slow and sickly crank. Kind of like when the battery is pretty much dead (imagine that!).

Anyway, after a few more minutes, it finally started and I was elated! I disconnected the jumper cables and was going to let it run for a while to charge the battery. It seemed to be running a little rough but I don't know if that's because I haven't heard it run in a few months or if it was actually running rough...

Fast forward a few more minutes, and it stalls. Again, no crank. Nothing. Tried hooking it back up to my truck and starting it again and nada...So...starter? It doesn't click like I'm used to with starter issues. Bad ground? This is what I'm thinking at the moment...ideas? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:44 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

First try to clean the ground cable from starter to body. I have also heard, I think Tom R is the one, that adding a second ground cable from battery to rad support can help. If that doesn't work, try a used but known good starter.

I had an issue where the car cold started no problem, but once it warmed up and I shut the motor off it wouldn't crank again.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:45 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

- changed the starter and all is well.