Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Starter issues/road noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 10:00 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issues/road noise

So I have a 1998 D1which ive had for years, love it. I have 2 major issues I need help resolving.

#1 and most important,
About a few month ago when i go to start the truck, every now and then when I go to crank the starter acts like the solenoid is not fully engaging. I stop turn the key again an it starts right up. Until a few days ago I get in the truck to start it and it just make a clicking sound. I thought maybe I had left the interior light on or something. Put the jump starter on it and same thing only clicking is much faster. I thought maybe starter, the one that is on there is only a year old, but stranger things have happened, besides I purchased the lifetime warranty for it. I called O'Reileys and had the new starter ordered and just for the sake of experimentation I went out to the truck an hour or 2 later and it fired right up. Went ahead and picked up the new starter today and installed, same thing click, click, click. Took it back off and bench tested starter works great. Put it back on and started right up. Finished putting tools away and cleaning up and went to start it and click, click click. Did some minor research about the ignition switch because the starter is new, wires are good, not fryed from what I can tell. Battery is an AC delco less than a years old, alternater was replaced a year ago. I saw a post where someone with a faulty ignition switch said to lock and unlock doors several times and try again. Not sure what that would do but couldnt hurt to try, so I did. Started right up and if started it every few hours with out issue. Surely this didn't fix the problem? Could it be the ignition switch? I rarely lock it and dont have a key fab. At this point haven't had an issue to determine if the locking and unlock of the doors actually solved the issue or if it was just coincidence.

#2 Road noise

About 3 months ago Truck started developing some road noise when driving betwteen 55-70 mph. Tires where in need of replacement anyways and the fluids in the tranfer case and differential was due for changing, So i put 4 new tires and changed the gear oil in the differential and transfer case. Also topped off the swivel housing which where pretty low from leaking. No change. Noticed there was some pretty major leakage on the passenger side swivel housing, new stuff leaked all over the rim, so I purchased the rebuild kit and thought that maybe the CV was bad on that side so I bought a new one. Also bought wheel bearings for the front. The noise feels like its coming from the front although hard to pin point exactly, but I do feel a slight vibration in the brake pedal. Did the wheels bearings on the front, replaced CV axle and installed all new seals to the passenger side swivel housing. Added the one shot grease to both sides. No change.Not sure where to go from here, could it be the needle bearings the axles slide through? They didnt look bad on the passenger side and I greased them when I had then apart. Where should I start from here. Its not that bad, but I know things like this will only get worse before something fails.

Your input would be greatlu appreciated.