Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Starting Issue Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starting Issue Help

Ok..so this morning all the sudden my rover did not want to start....the starter clicks once and thats it.

FULL POWER.

Had the battery and alternator tested...cleaned the both grounds...from battery and starter (sand it it down to clean metal)

Was able to jump it and it started....than it didnt...we smacked the solenoid...created some sparks...voala fixed it....for a moment...i was able to start it again 5 times normally...now its back to the click.

Is it the starter? or could it be the multiuse fuse under the hood by the fuses?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your starter is bad, it is seizing up or stopping on a bad spot on the brushes.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep, it is the starter (and solenoid of same) - unless you are lucky and it is the large cables by the starter, which also get gunked up like a battery terminal and have to be cleaned off. When working down there disconnect battery. Seems like there is also a jumper from starter to the frame, clean both ends of that as well.

The whacking is bumping the solenoid contact inside, won't last for long. PITA to remove, need to use several extensions and work from well forward of axle. Uses a metric allen head bolt, need to wash out that rascal with brake parts cleaner or something so socket allen can get all the way to the bottom, you risk stripping it out. If stripped, I've used a slightly larger torx socket to wedge in there, not pretty.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Winching

Great

Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

I just replaced my starter. As mentioned, make sure the allen keyhole is cleared out of all debris. Get in there with a pick or screwdriver, then hit them with some compressed air or penetrating oil. Just something to flush out the dislodged debris. The bottom bolt is easy. The top one can be a bear. I finally got it after much cussing and switching many times from under the truck to top of the truck. Use an allen drive bit on a 6-8" extension. Having someone guide the bit into the bolt from the top while you are underneath will be very helpful.
When bolting in the new starter I replaced those allen socket bolts with regular Hex heads, they're 3/8" x 20 IIRC. If you wanted to make things easier in the future you could use a 8" bolt for the bottom along with a hollow steel tube as a spacer to slide the bolt through. This would tighten down the starter yet provide easy access to the bolt head in the future. I would have done that but stupid Home Depot only had a 6" bolt.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I removed my front passenger tire, took a pair of tin snips to the inner fender wall by the rear seam. Carefully trim the fender wall, the fender will fold up out of your way, and you will be looking directly at the starter. Also good access for the y-pipe flange on the exhaust if the gasket needs changing.

I prefer to be able to see and touch (at the same time) what I work on on my Discovery.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

The debris is probably the plastic outer planetary gear..........we'll see. Smacked it with the butt of a large screwdriver probably 6 or 7 times and voila but finally it would turn no more. After taking it apart I found out why, the outer gear was in more pieces than my elementary education can count. It was locked up and dysfunctional from every angle.

After calling every local auto parts house in town, contacting folks on the forum and searching online I found my dream girl......

I found a used starter off a DII for $50 bucks at our local bone yard, it looked spanking new so there's hope, don't despair.....eh. As it turned out my original starter had shed two of it's four brushes and from the time I bought the truck almost 4 years ago it sounded like a beat down Dodge. Goes to show ya how much abuse they take before they give up the ghost.

Last edited by ihscouts; 11-08-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If you're keeping your discovery I really recommend a Denso gear reduction starter from Britishstarters.com

Old 11-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Winching

I was looking at those starters..they look top notch