Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Still not cranking and no codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Still not cranking and no codes

I posted last week about my LR not starting, well cranking normally. She hesitstaes to start, once started she runs fine. I have reached out to Disco Mike and he advised to pull codes so, I looked online on how to read codes, I'm not pulling any codes, just blank. I still haven't received my new Magnecor wires yet, the rotor was replaced in August by the dealer at Encino Land Rover. I have ensured all of my wires are snug, I have fuel pressure at the rail, new optima red top in August as well. Should I be looking at fuses or any sensors or am I not pulling codes correctly? When attempting to pull codes put ignition in position II ( on ) and its blank, waited till after the relay dropped out as per what I read online? If anyone can point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

So the truck will turn over, and after several attempts will start and run and is drivable? Fuel pressure is how many PSI? Sometimes guys have to prime their system by turning key on, pump runs, then off, then back on, etc. a few times to build up pressure. That can be a bad fuel pump, vac leak on fuel pressure regulator short rubber hose, fuel flter, etc. In other words, just seeing a squirt of fuel from the test valve is one thing, seeing correct pressure with a gauge is another.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

She hasn't turned over in 2 days now, fuel pump was deemed good in august when the dealer changed out my gas tank per recall that wasn't changed out prior. I can change out the fuel filter as its probably that time now. When she starts, yes, is drivable. I am unable to tell what the PSI is at the rail as I don't have a gauge to test.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

A tire gauge will do, just throw it away when done with it as it may have fuel inside. You may be able to rent/borrow one with a long hose on it from the parts store. This allows you to watch what happens when you turn on the key, etc. Of course, turn over is all starter and immobilization and battery and large wire connectors and relays and fuses.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:59 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

The last two discos I have had these similar symptoms with it was my crankshaft position sensor. It was intermittent with one and the other just took a crap and would not fire no matter how long I cranked it. No codes either time.