Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Stupid annoying clip

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Stupid annoying clip

I need the clip that holds the thumb push button on the shifter that lifts the rod to shift this truck into gear. Mine is missing. No clue what one looks like. Every time I inquire about one to someone parting out a Disco 1 I get ignoring. Disco 2 and RRC is different. Tried making one but have been unsuccessful thus far.

I'm tired of switching gears with pliers! I can't possibly be the only one who has had this problem. Dealership and aftermarket searches turn up squat.

Does anyone have one? Or maybe at least a pic??

Old 07-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

It's a C Clip. Looks like this.
Name:  p_301000241_1_zpsteyv8opi.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  2.1 KB

Measure the diameter of the shaft and get the appropriate size from AutoZone or Harbor Freight.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Pro Wrench

No. I tried those. It's a square clip.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok, now I'm gonna have to look when I get home. Haha.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Looks like a C Clip with a thin rectangle of sheet metal under it. I imagine any scrap of sheet metal cut to fit with a hole in the middle, AKA a washer, would work.
Name:  IMAG1872_zpsx3c7zlth.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  62.3 KB

Old 07-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Ohhhhh. ....ha. thanks! That would explain why the RAVE Shows a square. Now I get it. Thank you!

Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Some have square and some have C, not sure if there is a year difference.

I took 3 apart today all 98' and they had square clips.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Pro Wrench

Yea I saw one in the junk yard that had a square clip but it was broken. The pin went through the bottom part and the top clipped on the top of the pin. Almost like a speed nut.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default there was a bulletin on those clips

That was causing the "stuck in park" vehicle immobilized issue years ago. that is why some have the cir-clip and others have an "E" clip. I was trying to get my e clip off and gave up on it. Guess i will never be stuck with it at least.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default anyone know how to get to or search these "TIB's"

Shifter "E" Clip DETAIL

The shifter "E" clip on some Classic and Discovery models may fall off. If the clip falls off the gear selector will lock in position and render the vehicle inoperable.

The diagnostic steps and repair procedures detailed in this bulletin were developed as an element of the Land Rover Way Operation PRIDE. This TIB provides a library location for PRIDE information within the Land Rover North America technical literature system.

ACTION REQUIRED

Upon customer complaint for the symptoms outlined, perform the specified repairs.

PARTS INFORMATION

LRNA3727 - Shifter Clip
BTR8336 - Cam

PROCEDURE

Perform the diagnostic procedures and repairs outlined in this bulletin.

NOTE:

^ If the "E" clip is missing and the gear selector is locked in position, go to Step 1 of the installation procedure.

^ If the gear selector is still working properly, perform the "E" clip removal procedure outlined below.

"E" Clip Removal

1. Pop the cap off the top of the gear selector lever with a thin blade screwdriver.

2. Set the parking brake and chock the wheels.

3. Turn the ignition switch to ON and depress the brake pedal:

4. Place the gear selector lever between the Park and Reverse positions. This elevates the gear selector shaft and separates the "E" clip from the cam for easier access (figure 1).

5. Remove the old "E" clip with your fingers or a pair of needle nose pliers and discard.

6. Go to step 2 of the installation procedure.

CAUTION: The replacement clip is designed to be installed by hand, without the use of any tool.

If a tool is used to pry the clip into position, damage may occur causing poor grip on the plastic cam. Such damage will reduce the service life of the clip and requires installation of a new clip.

Installation

Brake Pedal Depressed
Ignition switch in ON
Parking brake SET
Cap off "T" Handle
Chock Wheels

1. If the old "E" clip is missing and the gear selector shaft is locked in position, grab the top of the gear selector shaft with your fingers or a pair of pliers and pull up. With the shaft raised, move the gear selector lever between Park and Reverse. Locate and remove the old "E" clip from the handle and discard.

2. Slip the new shifter clip (LRNA 3727) over the gear selector shaft as shown in figure 2. Pull rearward to seat the shifter clip in the groove on the gear selector shaft

3. Push the button on the side of the T handle to raise the cam and seat the shifter clip. With the button depressed, press down on the clip to insure the clip and cam are properly mated (figure 3).

4. Return the gear selector lever to Park, turn the ignition switch to OFF and remove the ignition key. If the key cannot be removed, the shifter clip is improperly installed. Repeat step 3, taking care to insure that the shifter clip is properly seated on the cam (figure 3).

5. Remove the chocks from the wheels.

Shifter Clip Removal

1. Pop the cap off the top of the gear selector lever with a thin blade screwdriver.

2. Set the parking brake and chock the wheels.

3. With the ignition switch in ON and the brake pedal depressed, place the gear selector lever between the Park and Reverse positions.

4. Place the nose of a small blade screwdriver or the tip of a pen as shown in figure 4 and tap the cam sharply. This action separates the cam from the shifter clip.

5. Remove the shifter clip with your fingers.

6. Inspect side of cam for wear or damage from shifter clip. Replace if necessary.