Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

sunroof issues - have searched

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default sunroof issues - have searched

The headliner is coming out for recovering but the sunroof is leaking.. at the motor gear hole. have not see threads about that yet.
the questions..
1) I cannot turn this motor with the allen wrench will not budge. but the motor runs. (yes i ran it while not installed... - is this normal?
2) any trick to get the motor reset back to the closed position - it seems to have a group of presets based on a magnet in a wheel.
3) i will remove and refit the sunroof if needed as described in other threads but want to confirm that no one has a quicker fix for the "from the motor hole" leak.

Last .. has anyone thought about how rare these d1's are coming? I see where pro shops in UK are rebuilding them now.. could these become the next defender? If so -- I want to do what I can to keep these from getting into salvage yards.. KWIM?

Thanks AlYaAll

Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Not seen water from that hole, are the drains clear? Pan bolted tight to roof? If you can't move the motor its bad or installed wrong somehow IMO, mine work so I messed with them very little

Old 12-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Mudding

thanks Tom, hope they continue to work for ya. I will be checking all you mentioned when the rain stops.
Surely someone has ran their motor while unmounted besides me. maybe?
I will post what i did if i figure it out.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I took rear one out when I had the headliner out (I painted mine instead of putting new headliner cloth). My motor had quit working about 6 months before that. I took the motor apart, it was rusted and wet inside, had been getting wet for sure. I cleaned it real good, and removed and cleaned the armature and brushes. I tested it before reinstalling, worked great. I installed it and it works fine, did not align it or anything. I think there's a sensor that activate/deactivates it. Not a preset position. This has been a couple of years ago so I would have to read up on it again. I also made sure my drain hoses were clear to drain, which the rear one was slow.

Speaking of these vehicles getting rare, I saw one at the bone yard when getting a part for a Z3. It was a 99, the next day I went to get the part, the Disco was gone. I asked about it, they crushed it. Said they seldom sell parts for them anymore.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Mudding

thanks reboot, I found info in another forum about the leak at the motor and it seems that is why so many get rust in the motor. The water drains too slow and backs up to that point. One fix was to create a "dam" around that location to minimize the problem once the drains are at full capacity and not clogged.
I was searching craigslist (allcraigslist search) last year and found very few, now i see several D1's not sure why the difference. Saw a few that made me salivate.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Glad you got it figured out, mine have never over flowed from motors, you must have a drain issue, I would drop the headliner and undo the hoses and blow em out good then hook up and pour water in the pan to be sure you are flowing

I have seen the drain tubes kinked due to poor routing

Mine I removed the headliner, unhooked the tubes, blew out , cleaned the pan and tightened it( it was loose)

Also tightened the glass ( also was loose) mine have worked since and no water pouring in