Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Swivel Ball service......almost.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Swivel Ball service......almost.....

I was planning on changing the fluids Saturday morning, but I spent most of that time cleaning out the back of *****. There was soooooo much build up of grime. Oil leaks and road dirt just made a nice layer of protection..lol....the seals looked great! Man, if I service them in that condition, crap would have fell in for sure.

Had to cut it short to take my daughter to visit a UC, college is around the corner for her. Man, i thought I would get this done this weekend....today, I had to look for the electrical issues (see other posts)....dang it...just didn't have enough time this weekend.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I recently needed to work on my swivels. Turn wheel away from car, so path will be straight down inside the swivel. Pull out the tiny one at the bottom, have pan or something to catch the drips with. Take out small brass plug half way up, flow out the bottom should increase. Remove fill plug.

Some put back oil only. Some make a "pudding" of grease and oil. Some pump in just Lucas Red & Tacky Lube #2, which can reduce leakage. There was a post of a nifty setup with a syringe, tubing, and a b-a-r-b-e-d NPT adapter to squirt grease in there. No pressure, cause seals are not made for it.

The CV joint is about as big as an orange, so there is quite a bit of space inside there.

Guess you could use a pump from a gallon jug of gear lube, and a hose splice adaper, and pump in the lowest hole, until it starts coming out the top, sort of like reverse flush of a radiator. Don't know how much gunk you would get out, or if it much matters.

What does matter is having enough time for scraping foot pegs...

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-08-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Some make a "pudding" of grease and oil. Some pump in just Lucas Red & Tacky Lube #2, which can reduce leakage.
Exactly, what I plan to do. I have Red & Tacky, plus use the rest of the Redline 90/140 from the drive train service.

What does matter is having enough time for scraping foot pegs...
Or toe sliders and elbows.....

Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

And my Disco is for my daughter who starts 12th grade tomorrow. Got to save where you can for the college fund.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have her get a job with a company that has a college reimbursement program or a co-op type or intern type of program. That is a much more economically feasable plan than going into debt for 50 thousand or more just to get thru collge with no applicable work experience!

I was on a Co-Op program at Georgia Tech. I worked in a lab that Ga Tech establihed at Lockheed during DOD contracts at their Experimental Engineering Station. Great way to take courses, earn money, gain valuable experience, and not be way in debt when you do finally graduate.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

My brother was a manager of some sort on the C5 program. Damn fine airplane. Intersting to note that our rear brake calipers are made by Lockheed.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Have her get a job with a company that has a college reimbursement program or a co-op type or intern type of program. That is a much more economically feasable plan than going into debt for 50 thousand or more just to get thru collge with no applicable work experience!

I was on a Co-Op program at Georgia Tech. I worked in a lab that Ga Tech establihed at Lockheed during DOD contracts at their Experimental Engineering Station. Great way to take courses, earn money, gain valuable experience, and not be way in debt when you do finally graduate.
That is just silly. College is hard as it is. She should just focus on school.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

My younger sister did that a few years ago, while attending Loyola Marymount. She started intern'g in her jr. year and it worked out. She was hired right after graduation. Yeah...her school bill would have total over $100k, just lucky my mom was able to pay half of it. Grants did help also...but, not much when your parents make an "x" amount of income.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother was a manager of some sort on the C5 program. Damn fine airplane. Intersting to note that our rear brake calipers are made by Lockheed.

There is no relation at all until you go back to Malcom Lougheed in 1918. That is when he designed a hydraulic brake system for his Alco Hydro-aeroplane Company, which he started in 1912 with his brother Allan. It failed, but Allan later started Lockheed Aircraft Company which was sold in 1929 to Detroit Aircraft Corporation. It also went bankrupt, but was bought out of receivership in 1932 by Robert and his brother Courtland Gross. Loughheed was no longer involved after he failed to bid to buy back the company out of receivership. It was Robert and Courtland's "Lockheed" that went on to build the Vega, the Electra, and so on, and would eventually build the U2, the SR-71 Blackbird, the C5, the Space Shuttle, the SLBM's, the F22 Raptor, the Hubble Space Telescope and a long string of black projects.

In 1928, Automotive Products (AP) obtained a license to build Lockheed hydraulic brake systems. Presumably they obtained this license from Allan Loughheed's company "Lockheed Aircraft Company." "AP" was initially set up in 1920 by Edward Boughton, Willie Emmott and Denis Brock, who used their acquisition of the license from Loughheed and the facilities of Zephyr Carbuerettor Company to setup what became the "Lockheed Hydraulic Brake Company" in 1929. I believe they also set up "Borg & Beck Limited" which was their way of selling Borg Warner products in the UK. "Automotive Products" or "AP" was for a while the leading brake and clutch supplier to the UK markets but it declined along with the rest of the British motor industry, ultimately being sold to Delphi and buried.

The "AP Racing" brand continues as a motorsport product of Brembo SPa, but AP Lockheed brakes are gone from the general automotive market. They never had anything in common with what has become Lockheed Martin Corporation except that both company's bore the phonetic spelling of the name of Malcom Loughheed who developed hydraulic brake systems and had a brother whose bankrupt corporate shell was bought out by somebody else who kept the name for whatever reason.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, glad to be corrected. My favorite Lockheed plane is the AC 130, plus anything from the Skunkworks. Went to college across the street from their plant in Marietta, most of the night faculty were adjunct, engineers by day and profs by night.