Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tom's Cable Set Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tom's Cable Set Review

I purchased a set of Tom's (Antichrist) cables to replace old worn out wiring and to compliment my new britishstarters.com starter. The cable set arrived quickly and packaged well. It included an invoice for records and good instructions with pictures.

The quality of the cables is excellent. They're much thicker than the stock cables and are shielded very well. They even include extra shielding on the starter cables where they pass near the hot exhaust manifolds. I really like the way the starter/engine ground cable bolts on the same place the battery to chassis grounds. You can see this in the second pic. The ends are solidly attached to the cables and seem near indestructible. The mil-spec battery post terminals are also very solid and finish off the set nicely.

Tom's Cable Set Review-img_1861.jpgTom's Cable Set Review-img_1863.jpgTom's Cable Set Review-img_1869.jpg

Old 11-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tom does make excellent cables doesn't he.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

And how much was this set and how do you order?

Old 11-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I PM'd Antichrist and paypal'd him $126.

http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=21774

Old 11-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Tom will make whatever cables you need at a very reasonable price. Either individual ones or any combination you need. Contact him.

I already got a couple of cables from him and intend to get the rest as well.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Eric and Danny, thanks for the kind words.

I did have to raise the price a bit because the heat shield wasn't included in the original price and I wanted to include it on both the pos and ground cables to the starter.

Eric, you're going to like that starter. FWIW, I painted mine with Hammerite before installing it.

Last edited by antichrist; 11-20-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:29 AM

Tom, it's merely stating fact. Those cables you made for me beat any auytomotive cables I have ever seen commercially available. In today's world, all the retailers want to buy at the cheapest possible price and maximize their profit regardless of how well something is built, how poorly it fits (both physically and fits the user's need), and how long it lasts.

The cables I got from you exhibit excellent materials and workmanship, you took the time to determine exactly was was needed and exceeded that by a nice safety margin. I expect them to outlast anything else on the vehicle.

Eric got the full set and I like the additional protection provided by the heat shield.
Continous improvement is one of the principles that the best provider work very hard to come close to acheiving. As soon as I scrape together some more money, I will replace the rest of mine with your products. A little pricey compared to PepBoys,Auto Zone, or Advance Auto or NAPA but well worth the additional money for the excellent quality.

I would encourage anyone that has a Discovery with the original ground and power wiring to go ahead and buy new cables from you and replace their old ones. Especially if you are having any issues with intermittent starter problems since the ground cables on these beast will cause you to think your starter has gone bad when all along a corroded ground connection from the starter to the frame will leave you stranded not knowing what to do, as well as give you charging problems.

A new set of power and ground cables should be one of the first considerations for starter and battery charging issues. I know this fom personal experience, not opinion or a shot in the dark wild *** guess, fact. Tom makes excellent cables, not opinion, fact. And his profit margin is probably less than any automotive parts vendor out there, opinion. Every time a part goes up the supplier cahin from manufacturer to the final seller, the profit is added on, fact.

Everyone do yourself a favor, buy a set of cables from Tom and a can of CRC MAF Cleaner and your Discovery will appreciate it, mine did. Fact.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 05-21-2012 at 08:38 AM.