Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transmission/Steering Issue, Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
You need to look at the 60K maintenace sticky up front and get caught up on what you have overlooked during the last 8 years. It sound like there may be a bit to do if the fluids have not been freshened in that time frame. What about hoses and belts and filters and other minor inconviences?
I did print out the 60K maintenance, so i will try and tackle those items, here is what was completed in the past 2 years.

I had the radiator and hoses replaced 2 years ago

Replaced the steering box and pump, so those are good.

I think i replaced the belt when the radiator was done.

Brakes were replaced a year and half ago.

The transmission was just replaced so that fluid is good.

Oil was changed 1500 miles ago.

Changed the air filter.

I tried to have the fuel filter changed, mechanic said he spent 2 hours trying to get it out and couldn't bc of rust, but i'm not convinced he even tried.

I have new plugs and wires, but not sure about doing them myself, i don't mind trying, but don't want to break anything since they haven't been changed in at least 8 years i'm not sure if they will come out easily.

I am getting a check engine code of P1314, i think it has to do with O2 sensors, but i also read that it may be bag plugs and wires.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by raim212
I did print out the 60K maintenance, so i will try and tackle those items, here is what was completed in the past 2 years.

I had the radiator and hoses replaced 2 years ago

Replaced the steering box and pump, so those are good.

I think i replaced the belt when the radiator was done.

Brakes were replaced a year and half ago.

The transmission was just replaced so that fluid is good.

Oil was changed 1500 miles ago.

Changed the air filter.

I tried to have the fuel filter changed, mechanic said he spent 2 hours trying to get it out and couldn't bc of rust, but i'm not convinced he even tried.

I have new plugs and wires, but not sure about doing them myself, i don't mind trying, but don't want to break anything since they haven't been changed in at least 8 years i'm not sure if they will come out easily.

I am getting a check engine code of P1314, i think it has to do with O2 sensors, but i also read that it may be bag plugs and wires.
I believe it. Those things suck. Just cut the fittings off and use a generic double b a r b e d(dumb censors) fuel filter from Napa.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep in mind, you do not need to be afraid of breaking or cutting off or out something that you are replacing.

I am proud of you for printing it, now read it and then do it, it is not that hard.

PB Blaster or a similar pentrant is your close friend when working on a LR that has rusted like most do. Spray liberally for a few days in advance, use high quality well fittingsockets with the longest lever arm and a steady pressure. Turn in a tighteing direction first just a slight bit and the fastener will loosen a lot easier as that "breaks the torque" on the existing fastener.

If the fasteners are rusty, get new high quality one and reassy with all new hardware. That is the route I prefer to go.

A slow steady pull with a "cheater" bar will loosen almost any fastener. D not buy cheap mad3e in China tools as they will brak easily, hurt yourself, are a waste of mney and time and will cause damage.

Clean everything as well as possible and tools fit better, parts will last longer and less problems in the long run. The more you do yourself, the better off you are in the long run instead of hoping some mechanic cared enough to do it right and did not rip yu off.

The more you do, the more you will know about your rig and the more you will be able to do for a lot less than paying someone else. I hope this was somewhat helpful.