Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

transmission issue? please no....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission issue? please no....

I am able to start my car fine but my car want shift at all. Last night my husband noticed the shifting issue when we were coming home. This morning I go to leave and I can barely move my car. I finally am able to move, reverse just fine. Then right down the street my car won't shift at all. Is this a transmission issue. I so hope not because it is not under warranty...help!!!!!

Calirover

Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Drifting
Default RE: transmission issue? please no....

Do you own a scanning tool? I'm no expert on automatic transmissions but this sounds to me like a computer issue. Have a scan done to see if the transmission control unit is working properly. They're not overly expensive to replace and they're a lot cheaper that the transmission itself. Wishing you luck,

Chris

Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fluid. Could be low fluid causing all those problems. But then again, once you fix the fluid...you still gotta figure out why you lost it all..

So are you saying that it takes a long time to shift into gear? When you went to leave and shift into R...did it take a while to finally go, or was it just freewheeling alot and it just took alot of gas to get it moving?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it would be easy to check the fluid if there was a dip stick
its not easy for the average person to check the level on a jatco transmission
is the check engine light on yet?

Old 09-23-2008, 02:13 PM
2nd Gear

My mechanic who works on all German made vehicles especially LandRover's towed my car for free to his shop and tested it for free. He called me this morning with the crappy news. We were just hoping it was a default in the shift solenoids but it is not. Unfourtnantely my transmission is completely "done". He said that it is an internal issue in which the transmission fluid burnt through the whole inside and was completely black and the there is an issue with the gears. He is able to get me a deal for a used transmission that has 19,000 miles on it for $3000 with a warranty. Does that sound like a good deal? I hope so because I have no other choice at this point, I need to get around somehow. After we fix this problem we are selling it for sure and getting it off our hands. Maybe now my car will pass its smog check too. Do you think?

Thanks for your advice!
CaliRover

Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh wow...my apologies [&o]

And that's bad news on the tranny..Hopefully the warrantied tranny will help with the sale at least.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Overlanding

LAW OFFICES OF HOWARD A. GUTMAN

230 Route 206, Suite 307

Flanders, New Jersey 07836

Phone (973) 598-1980 Fax (973) 598-1982

Please get in touch with Mr. Gutman. We have a class action lawsuit against Landrover. I have a 2003 Freelander, I've replaced the engine, the fuel pump, the brakes on passenger side at least 10 times. My car sat at the LR dealership in american fork Utah for 10 months. My car was still under the original factory warranty. I was given a rental car for 10 months. After all was said & done I got stuck with a rebuilt engine at the price of $7000, a rental car bill $6000, paid for a car that I did not use for 10 months & insurance on that car. Finally, after finding others that had the same problems with thier freelander and a young lady on you tube who had wanted to file a class action law suit. Land Rover North America would never return my phone calls, and blamed me for being negligent in the care of my car & thats why I had the problems. I had paperwork, showing that I had done the recommended oil changes etc. I recieved a phone call from Michael at LRNA customer relations, last week & this week, trying to reimburse me for the engine. I forwarded the phone call to Mr. Gutman in hopes that we will soon have these unsafe vehicles off of the road & no one will ever purchase one of these money pits AGAIN!!!