Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transmission or TC? Gurus needed - length sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

The clutch packs in these beasts just don't wear, it's usually the governor, pump or varnish in the valve body. Seeing that you can manually shift it successfully it leads to those three if in fact it is a tranny issue. I think not.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
The clutch packs in these beasts just don't wear, it's usually the governor, pump or varnish in the valve body. Seeing that you can manually shift it successfully it leads to those three if in fact it is a tranny issue. I think not.
Okay, good to know about the clutch packs. So, in some cases, someone may have been having problems with the transmission before I bought it and replaced the trans oil. I cannot confirm that the filter or screen was replaced - correct me if I'm wrong, I thought this transmission only had a screen.

If it in indeed the governor or the valve body, I've found those can be done with the transmission in the car. The pump however, that leads into a far more costly and time-consuming venture - ie: transmission R&R or replacement.

I've searched around a bit for information on swapping out the governor and valve-body, but haven't found a lot of details. Could anyone elaborate?

Thanks again all - slowly deciphering the problem!