Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Traveling breakdowns

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Well, taking the GF is usually all the reason a Rover needs to break down....
Haha. So true. The Rover Gods do not enjoy females in the vehicle.

Id take a belt, some various hoses, a volt meter, some coolant, and basic tools. If anything happens that you cant handle it with the above stuff...you're probably going to have to have it towed anyway. Check all fluids and give it a general look over...call it good.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You have to have confidence in the vehicle. You could end up with half the workshop stuffed in the back, and still have something happen to leave you broke down.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

With almost 230,000 miles I wouldn't hesitate to drive my truck across the country and back and the only things I'd pack would be Mountain Dew, Nutter Butters and licorice.
Everything else can be had while on the road, such as light bulbs and motor oil.
You're only going 200 miles, in the US not Kenya.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:29 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A flashlight, mobile phone charger, towing cable, basic tools, tape, coolant/ liquid container, oil, ATF, serpentine belt & don't forget to check the spare.

Reminds me of the time I took then GF (& now wife of 28 years) on a similar trip to her parents weekend beach house south of the city. Only difference was, it was in a car. On reaching the hills, we (I) decided to explore a dirt & gravel trail (inspite of her warnings that it seemed a bit steep). Unsurprisingly, we lost traction on the way back up & I damaged the drive shaft trying to regain it.

Fortunately, there was an old Series 2 SWB pickup at a mountain resort nearby that pulled us out & onto the main road in no time.

Since then, she has been most understanding of my interest in Land Rovers & we've explored quite a few other trails together (in one of three Land Rovers). Iincluding, returning to that particular spot with our children, who couldn't figure out what the suppressed laughter was all about...

Hope your GF turns into a believer too.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

My post was deleted and a smarmy one put in it's place.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

No Sir. You post with explicit comments was deleted and nothing else was put in place of it.

While you offer in depth expert advice, which is appreciated; sometimes you post comments that may be accepted on other sites (internet is the wild west, free speech, all that stuff). But over here those same comments can be on someone's screen at work, and place their career and paycheck at risk. Different corporations and organizations have varying acceptable use policies. Human resources can squash a career with the click of a mouse.

If we keep things clean, then we don't endanger noobies who are searching, and read all the ads (which pays for the party). This site should not become something that can only be viewed is private, or the "viewership" drops off.

Please continue to post your problem solving technical opinions.

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

It is unwise to assume things. I work rotating shifts.

It appears you have no intention of moderating your position. You humor may be fine in the locker room, but it has no place on this site where it can cause other members considerable harm.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the help guys. like i said, its not that i dont trust my rover, i just want to be prepared. spike pretty much summed it all up and stated it very well. i wasnt saying that i was worried or anything, i knew there were a few parts to always have such as tools as tools and tape but didnt know about the belt but know i do and thats exactly what i was looking for. after countless hours of research and fiddling with the wiring, fuses and light bulbs i found the light fault. it turned out to be fuse f2, now get this, it wasnt broken cause i checked it about 10 times, it was bent. bent. i knew that it was going to be something small and stupid andi also knew that i overlooked it a few times. i dont hate my rover when stupid things like this happen, i try not to get too frustrated and angry and throw things cause in the end i know that by the time i find the issue, ive found countless cures to other issues and i also reestablish my self confidence. thanks again guys

Old 10-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had to postpone but finally took the trip. After changing the oil, swapping out the bad alternator and packing. Everything went really good. No breakdowns whatsoever. Took the disco up to 2900 feet over heated towards the top but that was all. Even found a trail to go splash around on, just wish I performed the camel cut to the front fenders before I went so I coulda flexed it out