Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Turbo Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Pipe

What is the pipe that goes from the turbo to intercooler for?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Year? Model? Engine? Area of world (not all Rovers are found in North America)?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Year? Model? Engine? Area of world (not all Rovers are found in North America)?
All turbo engines are the same, diesel or otherwise when it comes to the intercooler and hoses.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RustRover
What is the pipe that goes from the turbo to intercooler for?
Here is a quick breakdown of the air intake on a turbo engine...air comes in the air filter, to the turbo, then to the intercooler, then to the intake on the engine.
If it is a petrol engine it goes to the throttle body, if it is a diesel engine it goes to the intake.
The pipe that goes from the turbo to the intercooler carries the compressed air from the turbo to the intercooler.
The intercooler super cools the compressed air, dense (cold) air has more volume to it, the more air into the engine the better the combustion of the air/fuel mixture.
The engine's exhaust turns the turbo (thats the super rusty side of the turbo), then there is a bearing and then the intake side of the turbo, remember the exhaust turns the turbo and that forces more air than the engine can use into the intercooler to be cooled and then into the engine.
Does that answer your question?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Exhaust gases passing over a turbine cause it to
rotate, driving a compressor mounted on the turbine
shaft. Air drawn from the cold air intake passes, via
the air cleaner, to the turbocharger where it is
compressed. The compressed air passes to the
cylinders via an intercooler, which reduces the
temperature of the compressed air, increasing its
density

It looks like a radiator, but there is no coolant inside it. If you have a 200TDI engine it is contained in the RAVE shop manual.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Here is a quick breakdown of the air intake on a turbo engine...air comes in the air filter, to the turbo, then to the intercooler, then to the intake on the engine.
If it is a petrol engine it goes to the throttle body, if it is a diesel engine it goes to the intake.
The pipe that goes from the turbo to the intercooler carries the compressed air from the turbo to the intercooler.
The intercooler super cools the compressed air, dense (cold) air has more volume to it, the more air into the engine the better the combustion of the air/fuel mixture.
The engine's exhaust turns the turbo (thats the super rusty side of the turbo), then there is a bearing and then the intake side of the turbo, remember the exhaust turns the turbo and that forces more air than the engine can use into the intercooler to be cooled and then into the engine.
Does that answer your question?
Yes, thank you. Is there any way you can increase the amount of air going in.....for better performance?

I'm in the UK and quite new to LRs. I didn’t realize this was predominantly an American forum.

(1998 300tdi 2.5 diesel commercial Discovery) ........whats the story with diesel in N America?

Last edited by RustRover; 09-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Team Owner

If you want to increase the amount of air going to the engine you need to install a larger turbo and intercooler.
But you have to be careful, to much boost and you will blow the engine apart.
There are 3 stages of turbo boost, stage one, stage two and stage three.
You can usually do a stage one install with no modifications to the engine at all or ECU re-mapping.
Any more and you need to start beefing up the engine and re-mapping the ECU too.

We cant get Rover diesels here in the US for many reasons, nobody wants them, they wont meet emissions regulations and diesel costs more than gasoline (petrol)
Here in the US if you want a diesel it is because you drive a large pickup truck and it is your work truck and you drive 50,000+ miles a year and tow heavy loads and carry heavy cargo or own a farm.
The other reason is because you want the most MPG possible and in that case you buy a VW Jetta TDI.
Americans dont like diesels in general, I would kill to have a diesel in my Rover and my wifes Sedona (Carnival).
But like I said, there is no market for them here and they wont meet emissions.