Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ultragauge fuel problem and substitute PS pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 11:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ultragauge fuel problem and substitute PS pump

I received an emaiI asking about ultragauge fuel readings in my 98 D1, but the person asking does not receive emails so I am posting an answer here.

The email I received said:To email satchelo, you can use this online form:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/se...member&u=11726

OR, by email:
mailto:fcoffman@motech.org

This is the message:

Hello - I found your old thread about the UG showing 1500 mpg on D!
I am having same problem. Were you able to resolve the cause of this
I am running a 97 - UG shows MAF values <1

To answer satchelo's question first, MAF values reported by my ECU are 0.07 to 0.55 and The UltraGauge expects values from 0 to 655 so the UG thinks that next to no fuel is being used. The only remedy I found for the Ultragauge inacurately reporting MPG and fuel usage was to adjust the fuel calibration number by a huge amount, in my case approximately 110. In the discovery the UG saw so little fuel usage that it could not be calibrated (to use the 1/4 tank required I'd have to drive to California and back) so I had to connect the UG to our 99 dodge minivan and drive the van far enough for the UG to see enough fuel usage to allow calibration, set it to a high number, and then experiment with the calibration numbers in the Discovery comparing fuel used at fill up to what the UG reported.

UG suppour had said:
"The output for MAF violates the OBDII standard. As such, there must be a defect somewhere, either in the MAF or in the ECU. We suspect the ECU. Try the calibration. Best regards, UltraGauge Support". and, "...as we have never heard this issue from any other Discovery owner....we suspect there is an issue with your vehicle. " They would not list our Discoveries in their exceptions list when I was corresponding with UG tech support and apparently considered it "my Problem" and not an exception, but I believe all 97 and 98 D1s have the same UG problem and perhaps other years as well..

Now to another question. I have a PS pump leak and groaning problem that Lucas stop leak has failed to "fix" and I seem to remember that someone said a Chevy S10 PS pump would fit. Is that correct and are there any other common PS pumps I can install in lieu of a high $$$$ LR pump?

EDIT: OK, I found a Chevy PS pump thread a few posts down the list. Good info there and it looks like my next project after I see if the Lucas PS stop leak money back guarantee is really legit. One thing I didn't see was whether the Chevy pump should be run with Trans fluid rather than PS fluid.

Last edited by philwarner; 03-23-2019 at 12:26 PM.