Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Venting, and thinking outloud.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes, its just a machine.

Originally Posted by 2001SE7
A machine like no other.

Mine's alive...

Old 01-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is mildly ridiculous...

Okdiscoguy is one of the few that gets it. Back in 1995. My parents bought a fully loaded Discovery brand new for over $40,000. Before the warranty ran out it decided to bay window the block. The invoice to Land Rover for the engine and labor was over $25k. Also, we were towing a trailer under the max weight limit when the trailer hitch decided to rip off of the frame. Again, Land Rover covered the repair and replaced the entire frame. That bill to Land Rover was over $15k. If you took your Rover to the dealer and asked them to replace the engine or frame I'm sure it would cost the same, if not more. Repairs don't get cheaper cause the cost of the vehicle drops.

I knew what I was getting myself into when I got my 1996 SE for basically under $1,500. I'm maintaining a $40k truck that I paid near nothing for. Repairs can get expensive if you can't work on one of these yourself. That's why there is strong internet support for these vehicles. Even if the parts get pricey at times at least you can always save on the labor by doing it yourself.

Fortunately for the majority of us, our Land Rovers are our second cars. Like others have said, if it isn't, I would strongly recommend getting something cheap to drive daily or to have as a back up. My daily driver is a 1997 BMW M3 sedan. Before I got all the quirks worked out it was just as "reliable" as my Discovery. The majority of my knowledge on my M3 was gained from a forum like this one. $7k in repairs and modifications it has become a great daily driven track car with over 200,000 miles.

Everyone around here needs to stay positive. Crying about all the problems isn't beneficial for anyone. Tell us about your problems so that the community can help you and other in the future with the same of similar problems.

Next time you have a problem take a deep breath, drink a glass of water, and jump on google and start searching. Someone, somewhere, has already dealt with what you're going through and would be happy to tell you all about it.

Lastly, the reason why I choose to own a Land Rover is the friendly and helpful community of owners. We keep them running by sticking together and helping each other out. I'd like to thank you all in advance for all the knowledge you guys put on this forum. It has helped me out beyond belief. Through your help I know I'll get my Rover to the point where it will be as well sorted out as my M3.