Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

water leak, pass (right) side wall behind kick panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:16 PM
gc3
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leak, pass (right) side wall behind kick panel

Hi guys, I've so far resealed the top of the windshield and resealed the plastic corners of the sunroof trays (both) and unclogged and reattached all the sunroof drain hoses.

It would appear all the upper water leaks are taken care of.

I'm still getting water on the pass side (right) floor area. Water is visibly running down the wall in "front" of the door opening.

I'm still not familiar with all the electrical components (is there a diagram showing all the major electrical boxes and what they do in the RAVE manual?
I have it downloaded, but still learning to navigate within the giant pdf.

I think i'm still under the 10 post requirement so i'll post the photo i have in my next post under this.

it is a photo looking upwards at the right wall behind the plastic kick panel (removed)
you can see the trickle of water from above the black box (water is running behind it along the wall)

where is this water coming from? trying to avoid pulling the whole dash to find it.
Hoping for someone with a common symptom who has fixed it already.

thanks!

Old 04-17-2019, 10:17 PM
gc3
Drifting
Old 04-18-2019, 08:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

A few things come to mind, given the location you describe. First, are the grommets for the door wiring in place? Also, if you remove the windscreen cowl you can check the cavity below it for obvious water entry points. I believe there could also be an entry point at the top of the A pillar. You may want to use a hose to try and introduce water to identify the leak.

As for the location of electrical components, I found the Electrical Library .pdf to have good clear color photos of the locations of all the various connections, and from there you can deduce which components are which. Mine is D2 specific but if one exists for the D1, it should have what you're looking for.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:37 PM
gc3
Drifting

Thanks for the input, I think the door wiring grommet is there, but I will confirm tonight.
I will also take a look under the windshield cowl if it's easy to access, haven't taken a look yet.
I don't think it's from anywhere on the A-pillar, as I currently have the A pillar trim off and didn't notice anything, but I will re-look at that area with more focus.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

I don't know much about water leaks in the D1 (or the D2 for that matter), but there was a tech bulletin about the body joints near the C shaped molding above the A pillar. Windscreen cowl is not bad to remove, take off wiper arms and a couple of hardware bits. There's also a "hidden" 10mm below the weather strip in the engine bay. The cowl has 4 fingers that hook underneath the lower edge of the glass in 4 places and you have to rotate it up from the bottom to get it free. Just don't force it and you'll be ok. I'd check all the other stuff first though, for this reason. Don't remove it if you don't have to.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:12 AM
gc3
Drifting

got around to pulling both fenders off and saw some cracking seam sealer, so stripped all that off and resealed it up.
I'm letting it cure for a bit then i'll do a hose test and see if that fixes it.

Haven't pulled the cowl yet.

Very happy with the lack of rust on this truck everywhere though.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:16 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

all the manuals can be found in the link in my signature. etlj960x will be the Electrical trouble shooting manual for your truck ("96 disco1 v8" as per your signature)

Old 04-22-2019, 07:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

The D1’s are Swiss cheese in that area after 20 years unfortunately. You have a good start looks like though.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:14 AM
gc3
Drifting

hose test proved that was it, so far everything has been staying fully dry with the new seam sealing job.