Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What the heck Rover Gods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought that chevy fan clutch, doing that mod tomorrow morning. Post pics afterwards and will report back.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Best wishes to you Caleb.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

IMHO the clutch is fun to remove because the serpantine belt is "Semper Gumby" - always flexible. If you use a wrench to increase pressure on the tensioner, rather than releasing it, and place another wrench on the water pump to fan nut, a sharp whack with a hammer on second wrench, toward the battery, breaks it loose. Not a little love pat... Be sure fan blades go back on new clutch in same orientation. Helps to write "front" on it. Cupped side of blades toward engine block.

Of course this is a good time to check water pump.

I was pondering if you could power up individual pulley items by using something like panty hose to make a temporary belt. An speaking of belt, draw your belt route before you start.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Default Speaking of Belt routing

Over the weekend, my son Daniel came rushing in on Saturday evening with a new serp belt for their 2004 Ford Freestar van with a 3.9 motor.

Talk about tight spacing under the hood. He was not sure which was the tensioner and had grabbed a belt at NAPA and was in a big hurry. I went down to try and assist and he was in the middle of a fiasco.

He had forced the old stretched out belt off with a crowbar, was frustrated and it was about to get dark. I looked up the belt number online, made sure he had the correct belt, found another site that showed the belt routing picture and the removal/reinstall steps.

His had 8 or 9 different pulleys and very little access space to any of it.
He wa super frustrated, but I was able to assist him in getting it correctly routed and once we got it all lined up, he was able to get a long combination wrench on the tensioner and we got it installed and checked out just as darkness set in.

His Freestar made me glad that the Discovery is as simple and as easy to get to as they are. But it still takes two sets of hands to easily route and hold everything in place. I was happy I was able to help him or he would have never gotten it done.

I even had his wife print the routing diagram and we made sure he put it in the glove compartment with their paperwork packet for future use.

I also realized that even though we had the drawing, he was having difficulty relating the simplified sketch to the actual hardware under the hood. Just trying to see it all was difficult with the tight spacing.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 05-14-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Just bought that chevy fan clutch, doing that mod tomorrow morning. Post pics afterwards and will report back.
we did that. what are you doing about the fan itself. same one?

did you gt the sd or hd clutch?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Pro Wrench

Yeah keeping the same fan and using the standard duty fan clutch, I don't want it sounding like a helicopter haha. I have the belt routing diagram on my iphone, which I should probably mention is easier to put on than the sticky that we have in the tech section. More about that later. Do you guys think I should try the autozone water pump for our vehicles? Nobody can get me one till middle of next week and I won't be here (I leave for boot camp next monday).

Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 AM

I would get the one with the beefed up brass impeller for longer life. Claire will still be there waiting after you get home from Camp Lejume.

Get me one of those Marine Corp khaki belts. I always wanted one of them!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Pro Wrench

Gosh, the ones at Autozone are like $200... I guess I'll just wait for trevor to ship me one and do all my stuff when I get back..

Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench

New:
Belt [X]
A/C Compressor [X] (just bought from rover bones)
Water Pump [X] (probably buying new from rovah farm or maybe used from paul)
Chevy Fan Clutch Mod [X] (auto zone)
Chevy P/S Pump Mod [ ] (just PM 1997Ranger for that P/S Hose he made. I like it haha)
Rebuilt Magnelli Maretti Alternator [X] Picked up, now to get it rebuilt

Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM

Relax, she willing be waiting for you when you return. No need to worry yourself with all that just before you leave for boot camp.

Go out dancing. Enjoy the girls while you can. Boot camp is quite a change of pace.
Have fun at that going away BBQ party.

Quick Reply: What the heck Rover Gods?