Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

You want a chip for you D1 don't you? Don't you!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

We have some guys on the forum with a dozen vehicles listed for their garage - seems like they would spend every weekend changing oil on something....

Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
We have some guys on the forum with a dozen vehicles listed for their garage - seems like they would spend every weekend changing oil on something....
that makes no sense, the number of miles a person drives is the same no matter how many vehicles they have, therefore the mileage is just divided between the vehicles.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, if one owner/driver, yep. But if he has a herd of users, that's something else. Also, something to be said for changing on a periodic basis, even if you have not hit the miles. Guess there is some condensation even inside an engine, just like a fuel tank. And evaporation of some of those volatile compounds. If you had a Defender, parked at your mountain chalet, and only visited once every three months, would you only change the oil every few years? {if you had such, you most likely could have your third admin assistant contact the property manager and have it done before you arrived, along with fresh detailling and be sure to buff the roof rack}...

Old 10-12-2011, 11:23 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, if one owner/driver, yep. But if he has a herd of users, that's something else.
I've heard of users, but not heard of a herd of users...

Most could be like me...I have 3 scooters in my basement and 2 motorbikes, and I'm the only rider.(other than the kids that ride 2up behind me)
Now if I could only get away with riding the gokart on the street...that would be sweet fuel economy! 1 gallon every 2.5 hours of riding!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a landlord in Marietta Ga. that had a collection of Lincolns that started in the 50's and he added a new one every two years. The lower level of their home had garage doors all the way across and they were parked two deep in each stall.

He had turned his parents farm into a subdivision keeping the property right in the center where his big house sat on a lake. As he would build houses, he sold two out of every three keeping the third as rental property, surrounding his estate.

He kept a crew working at the estate, where each week, they brought out one of the cars from the farthest garage for his wife to use for the week. The one she just finished using got detailed, oil changed and parked in the first slot. Each car was cranked up, rotated to the next position in the garage, thereby starting and moving each car every week as it awaited it's turn to be driven for a week then put away again.

He also had his son's first car (a Hurst Olds convertable) and his 1951 Chevy pickup.
The funniest thing was watching him go everywhere in his pickup. The starter did not work, but he had an old black man that worked for him that pushed him off every time they stopped anywhere. Every month he went to each rental house to collect the rent in person with his personal "starter" riding right beside him.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Mercedes has an oil level float switch, get a quart low and an idiot light comes on. Eventually we will get so sophisticated that the car will wifi and email you to "take me to the shop - please!
cars were doing this in the 50s and 60s...

im not a fan of chip tuning... and that first link was a riot to read haha. generic much??

Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Actually it would be useful to have a chip/sensor that tells you when the oil is DIRTY, not 3k, 5k, or x miles. Then for added value, goes into limp mode until you change it damnit!
They already do, my mom's '08 Escape has a "oil life monitor", it counts down the oil life in %, you start at 100% and after 7500 miles or 6 months it will reach zero and say "change engine oil", you then reset it when you change the oil.

My old Sprinter van had this as well, only it was set at 15,000 miles or 12 months.

The LR4 does not even have a dipstick, or a drain plug, it too is set at 15,000 miles or once a year, press a button and it shows you the oil level, the life left of the oil too.
Now here is the kicker, you MUST use full synthetic oil and you MUST have it changed at the dealer because only they have the machine needed to change the oil.
And now guess at how much that oil change is going to cost.
I am going to guess $250.

BMW is this way, but no one ever changed their oil because it cost to much and they were blowing up engines, so now they offer free oil changes for the length of the warranty.

Mercedes has the oil life monitor too.

And as for going into limp mode if you are overdue for a oil change, that is a bad idea, can you imagine you are driving your pregnant wife to the hospital to have your baby and all of a sudden your car goes into limp mode and you can only drive 10mph?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Those are still distance/time based. I'm talking about a dirtiness sensor.

The dealer only oil changes are just aggravating...

As for the pregnant wife, well they'd never neglect it again! Ok ok... Maybe it should just educate the driver about the benefits of auto maintenance on the A/V system. It'd be non-overidable and loop every 5 minutes.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GUARANTEED TO LUBRICATE YOUR ROVER INSIDE AND OUT, REDUCING OVERALL FRICTION AND INCREASING YOUR MPG!

$55, only a few left.

Ruffles are available but going FAST!!!!!!!! PM me for price.

ACT NOW!

Last edited by JamesDisco97; 10-12-2011 at 09:58 PM.