Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Disco Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 02 Disco Service

Ok. Worked through some of the service. I did the front and rear differentials, drained and dropped tranny pan and replaced filter and gaskets. Had to replace rear brake pads. After that, time was out and couldn't finish rest. Question, how do I change the transfer case fluid if the emergency brake is in the way? I want to drain and fill without taking out the e-brake. Question 2, how come the manuel says 10 quarts for tranny, yet it only drained and filled 5 quarts? Thanks.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

The manual is telling you how much total fluid is in the tranny, you can only drain 5 or 6 qts. Did you recheck the tranny when warm and the engine running to make sure it is full?
As fo the t/case, you don't have to remove the e-brake to drain it, look for the drain plug on the side of the case.
Mike

Old 03-26-2007, 01:30 PM
4wd Low

Yes, put as much in as came out in the tranny. The e-brake cable is blocking the fill plug. Is there anyway to get to it without messing with e-brake.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: JBRover

Yes, put as much in as came out in the tranny. The e-brake cable is blocking the fill plug. Is there anyway to get to it without messing with e-brake.
I think I will have to crawl under my truck and look, I'll get back to you.
Have you rechecked the fluid level with the engine running, if it doesn't flow out as you start to remove the plug then you will need to add some more.
Mike

Old 03-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yourself a favor and don't cheap out when it comes to servicing your Discovery.These trucks need to be maintained on a regular basis and looked at once in a while by someone who knows what they're doing.In my opinion,you shouldnot put the fate of your engine in the hands of these"wonder oil" companies.I've worked in the automotive business most of my life and could easily carry out routine servicing on my Discovery,but I choose to let someone who knows the in's and out's of these trucksdo it's service.They know the problem areas and how to keep these trucks running well.I learned a long time ago that an unfamiliar machine can turn into a big bag of A$$ if its denied the service expertise it requires.Again this is just my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
Utilitarian (11-18-2023)
Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 PM
4wd Low

$700+ dollars is alot of money for service I could do myself for alot less on my spare time. I am still taking it to the dealer for inspection, just not regular service.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Truely, after running dealers shops for nearly 30 years and looking at the techs. and what they do now, I wouldn't take a vehicle to the dealers, they charge too much, know very little and don't fix things, they just shoot parts at your truck till it works right.
I also know there are a few really good mechanics out there, they are just very rare any more.
Mike

Old 03-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your right Mike,Some Dealer Techs have made me wonder,however there are still some Dealerships who won't tollerate bozo's.I've got a really good relationship with my local dealer and everyone from the Service Manager to the Detailer knows me by name andthatI won't and don't put up with BS.They treat me with respect and constantly tell me I'm over-maintaining my truck.They make me feel like a million bucks every time I go in.My bills are always reasonable and always well broken down and easy to understand.If I request a major servicing,they give me a loaner at no charge,and its usually a late model Rover or Jag.I'm in the automotive(collision) business,so the last thing I want to do is work on my own car at the end of the day,I feel I deserve to get the V.I.P treatment once in a while and my Dealer does that for me.Besides,If something ever did go wrong,It's always good to have someone else to blame!LOL!