Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 4.6 any way to identify/prevent slipper liners?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As far as the liners go, there are lot of people who have replaced about every moving part in the engine trying to fix the tick yet they are unable to stop it. The only constant is they reuse the same block.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am worried about it for sure. I definitely don't want to put it all back together with new bearings and seals and still have a noise. I plan to "pin" the liners I think since they don't appear to have slipped yet.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 PM
4th Gear
Default Liner Issue

If you have a dropped liner, your car with overheat within a few mins.
You dont hear a liner tapping, you hear your cam and bearings, lost oil pressure at one point very common. with a liner issue u cannot drive the vehicle very far. Ive seen a lot

Matt

Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If there is no crack behind liner into water jacket then you can drive it forever.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Mudding

Im worried about a crack in the block somewhere too. Machine shop said they have no way to check an aluminum block for cracks. However, None of the pistons were steam cleaned, and there was no water in the oil, no milky mixture in the pan or any milky deposits anywhere in the heads or valley etc. However, when driving it you could hear the sloshing sound in the dash and when looking into the coolant reservoir it did put off bubbles at a fairly steady pace. I really expected a bad gasket or steam cleaned piston or a slipped liner and I found none of the above. Only a trashed crank and rod bearings. Everything else really doesn't look that bad. The sloshing and steady stream of bubbles really make me think the was a leak in the cooling system somewhere, but now I'm at a loss

Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Did you try bleeding the cooling system? Maybe it's just low and has air bubbles running around in there???

Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by RoverDoctor
If you have a dropped liner, your car with overheat within a few mins.
You dont hear a liner tapping, you hear your cam and bearings, lost oil pressure at one point very common. with a liner issue u cannot drive the vehicle very far. Ive seen a lot

Matt
Rover Doctor, if you have your heads off, can you tell just by looking at the liners if they have dropped? Just curious, it sounds like you've got lots of experience with these engines. Thanks for your time!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Did you try bleeding the cooling system? Maybe it's just low and has air bubbles running around in there???

No I didn't. I was so anxious to get this thing apart to see what was going on inside it I didn't mess with it

Old 08-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ruffram
No I didn't. I was so anxious to get this thing apart to see what was going on inside it I didn't mess with it
Well, the best thing to do would be to pressure test the block at this point. You just have to seal off the four ends of the block faces and the water pump housing as far as I know, then put some pressure to it and see what you get. Check out the video on youtube from the singing camel rover shop. I think it's called "slipped sleeve syndrome" if you want to see what it will look like if you're losing pressure. Good Luck!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Mudding

I thought about that, but I read of other guys who pressuere tested blocks and they were fine, but then installed them in the car and ran them and still had block problems/leakage. Problem seems that if the block passes the test it doesn't really tell you anything. Only that it might be ok but no gaurantee

Quick Reply: 03 4.6 any way to identify/prevent slipper liners?