Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 DII Steering column vibration when offroad

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 03 DII Steering column vibration when offroad

Hello all,
I've got a pretty annoying vibration/knock/rattle in the steering column when offroad. It feels almost like something in the column isn't bolted down all the way... very different from something like an off balance wheel or a bad tie rod wobble. It's especially pronounced when driving over rocky terrain or badly washboarded roads. Was curious if anyone else has noticed that and if there was a fix? I'm guessing it's probably the lower steering shaft u-joints? Whatever it is, it drives me nuts. I would love to figure out what the heck it is.

Any ideas?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm no expert on this but I have replaced a lot of parts on mine. I would say either the ujoints or your steering damper mount is loose... or the steering damper is toast.

Do you have a stock steering rod? Mine is terrafirma and has a ubolt setup for the damper so if you have stock the bracket can't move.

I would get under it in the driveway with the front jacked up (tires off the ground) and see if the steering arm has any slack. If so, the cause should be obvious. If not, it could be the slip joint/spline retaining screw is not tight.

Of course it is also possible that your ball joints are shot. That's what caused mine to knock or pop. I just replaced mine and it made a major difference in steering wheel stability. To check that you need to jack up the front tires and see how much play they have, top to bottom.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-05-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:06 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the reply! It rattles like crazy up through the column itself...can feel it and actually hear it. Still has the stock steering rod on it. My money is on slop in the lower steering column I think. I had a 4x4 Dakota with the same problem. I'll probably put the front of the truck up and see if I can find it. It really is driving me nuts. Thankfully it's only offroad.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I'd like to know what you discover. Might come in handy someday on my own truck.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Time for you to spend some time under the hood and dash to start tightening or or replacing worn parts.
Curious, are you running on a stock suspension or lift, have you checked out the front end for loose steering parts and worn bushings.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:55 AM
Mudding

I'm running a full OME suspension...put it on last year. This vibration is actually something between the steering wheel and the box though, not from the suspension. I definitely need to pick up the truck and check the whole steering shaft for play. I'll report back once that's been checked.

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Time for you to spend some time under the hood and dash to start tightening or or replacing worn parts.
Curious, are you running on a stock suspension or lift, have you checked out the front end for loose steering parts and worn bushings.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

check the u-joints on the steering shaft from the wheel to the box