Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03' Disco radiator removal and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 03' Disco radiator removal and replacement

I'm removing my radiator and istalling a new one because of a hair line crack at the top right corner. I tinkered with it last night and removed the fan shroud and disconnected the top hose and the bleed hose and collected the fluids until it leveled out.

The RAVE manual says next to remove the grill and the right and left hand air deflector panels and the horn.

Then it tells me to remove the AC condersor via the fittings and they caution to have some absortant towels to catch any oil. But will I loose my AC coolant/freon gas as well? The rest of the instructions just say to remove screws, bolts and the bottom hose and then put the new one in the reverse order.

They make no mention or referral to the AC section when they say on step 11 to reattach the condenor.

Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 03' Disco radiator removal and replacement

Well, I got the job done and with only a few bruised knuckles. I was incorrect about the AC condensor needing to be disconnected, it is the transmission cooler and I actually removed the radiator without disconnecting the cooler but it was hard to fit it back in place on the new radiator so I pulled it out and attached it to the radiator while in my driveway and then put the whole unit back in and reconnected the transmission cooler; I don't think I lost more then a few ounces of fluid.

Anyway the whole job took about 4 hours with a time out for lunch. I got the radiator from AB parts for about $275 which is much less then several other parts houses wanted. I have a feeling the dealer would have wanted a lot more for their part and the labor as well.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where cab I find any instructions about how to remove and replace the Power Steering lines under the Radiator/s of a 2003 Discovery II SE 4.6L ? Or even on just how to remove the radiator and the trans mission cooler?

Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Utube Atlantic British May have some videos google search rave manual
or just start things apart

Old 03-15-2019, 09:30 AM
Drifting

Well, I was able to figure it out watching some videos for similar cars which gives the basic idea. On my 2003 Disco II, to replace the PS steering cooling tube, have to loosen up the radiator and transmission cooler. To do that you need to take out the air filter box, the battery and its box, remove the grill, and one of the shrouds under the car. The secret to getting the screws out of the radiator brackets is to use a long screw driver and go through the grill. With the shroud removed you will have access to the bolts that attach the PS cooling tube. The new PS cooling tube comes with the mounting brackets. You do not need to disconnect any transmission lines, radiator hoses, or even any PS lines. It all loosens up and can be made ready for a quick replacement so you lose as little PS fluid as possible (liquid gold @ $40.00/quart from the Portland Oregon Dealership - not a good choice - replace the PS fluid with the alternate fluid offered by Atlantic British https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC50519 ). If you do buy the expensive stuff you will want to rig up some fluid capture devise to try and catch every drop as clean as possible - unless it's bad anyway. The shroud under the car is flexible enough so you can bend it out of where it is with out having to unbolt the protection bar from the frame. Getting it back in with out removing that bar? I don't know yet. It is hard to tell were exactly a PS fluid leak is coming from when it is blown allover the place by the fan. I replaced the pump and the easy to get to lines hoping I would not need to replace this the PS cooling tube line. But I think it is leaking at a point over top of the steering box, dripping down and making it look like the gasket for the lid of the steering box is leaking. Wiped it all down clean as I could. No sign of any leaks until I turned the wheel all the way to the side. Checked again for leaks and there was PS fluid on top of the steering box again. If replacing this tube does not fix the leak-- next thing will be to replace the steering box . Also, I must not have refilled the PS fluid correctly. It whines bad when I turn the wheel all the way. How do I fix that whine, or does it go away after driving it a while ?

Last edited by Steve Jepson; 03-15-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Drifting

How do you unplug the PS tubes from the SP box? Just pull up? The seem like they might be permanently attached or something. I took off the retaining bracket holding them into the PS box but I don't know how to get them out, or back in. Does is require a special tool ?

Last edited by Steve Jepson; 03-17-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I remember watching the videos thinking, piece of cake. Right up until I realized my 01 from grill was a tad different that an 03

Old 03-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
I remember watching the videos thinking, piece of cake. Right up until I realized my 01 from grill was a tad different that an 03
I managed to get the pump and all the hoses and tubes replaced. There are no more leaks and no whine when I turn the wheel. I am going to call it fixed. The most difficult part of it was replacing the PS cooling tube which as it turned out was where the leak was. It was in the fitting of the pressure line at the factory fitting directly above the bleed valve on the PS box, not at the pump. But the pump was on it's last legs anyway, it did not spin as freely as the new one. The total job cost me about $500 for the new PS tube/pipe kit and a new PS pump, and 2 quarts of the PS fluid from the dealer. The dealer quote to fix it for me was $2,600.