Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 no diff lock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:13 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
The 04's have a cable actuated CDL and hi lo shifter mechanism. They normally don't seize like the D1 linkages(in my experience).

The only way to really tell (especially if you don't know what to feel for when under the truck) is to remove the middle console and drill out the rivets of the shifter plate to look at the top of the t case for the nipple.
You do not need to tear apart the interior of the truck to view the nipple on top of the transfer case. Taking everything apart and drilling out the rivets is a pain in the *** and not worth the time. If you want to be certain about the nipple, grab a flashlight and a smartphone, crawl under the truck and use the flashlight to illuminate atop the transfer case and use the video feature on your smartphone to inspect atop the transfer case. Thats how I located the nipple on my transfer case so I could manually engage it. Takes a couple minutes and you dont need to tear your truck apart.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:40 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

^smart! I never thought of that.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by stb616
I'm jealous. Discovered my 01 is one of the disco's with the ford-inspired non cdl TC's.
I'm curious, what was the production date? Supposedly 6/2001 and before had the CDL.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually got the cdl light to come on I had to get out of the truck and lay across the drivers seat and physically pull with everything I had it moved over to the left just a little and the cdl light illuminated.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:35 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge103
I actually got the cdl light to come on I had to get out of the truck and lay across the drivers seat and physically pull with everything I had it moved over to the left just a little and the cdl light illuminated.

It sounds like you had the same issue I had with the linkage getting stuck from lack of use then. However I would not recommend using full body force to engage a stuck linkage. You could break the linkage. I DID read a thread on here about a guy who accidentally snapped the linkage while playing around with the hi/low CDL. Like I said above, if the linkage gets stuck and wont shift, get under the truck with a wrench, find the nipple and manually engage the CDL. That will losen up the linkage without the risk of breaking something.

Engage the linkage maybe once a month to ensure it does not get stuck again and you should not have to worry about the linkage getting stuck anymore.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:36 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^smart! I never thought of that.
Or just reach up on top of the case and feel for the nipple.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
You do not need to tear apart the interior of the truck to view the nipple on top of the transfer case. Taking everything apart and drilling out the rivets is a pain in the *** and not worth the time. If you want to be certain about the nipple, grab a flashlight and a smartphone, crawl under the truck and use the flashlight to illuminate atop the transfer case and use the video feature on your smartphone to inspect atop the transfer case. Thats how I located the nipple on my transfer case so I could manually engage it. Takes a couple minutes and you dont need to tear your truck apart.
Or alternatively use one of these Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://www.toolstop.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Ridgid-micro-CA-100-36738-Hand-Held-Inspection-Camera.jpeg essential in all toolboxes. Cheap too.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:01 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm curious, what was the production date? Supposedly 6/2001 and before had the CDL.

Says 06/01...I thought it was just the 02's but oh well. It's a one owner with only got 56k on it which is why I wanted it. I'll prob leave it alone for a while. I'll just grab one with a cdl when I find a good deal on it and save it for a rainy day.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
It sounds like you had the same issue I had with the linkage getting stuck from lack of use then. However I would not recommend using full body force to engage a stuck linkage. You could break the linkage. I DID read a thread on here about a guy who accidentally snapped the linkage while playing around with the hi/low CDL. Like I said above, if the linkage gets stuck and wont shift, get under the truck with a wrench, find the nipple and manually engage the CDL. That will losen up the linkage without the risk of breaking something.

Engage the linkage maybe once a month to ensure it does not get stuck again and you should not have to worry about the linkage getting stuck anymore.
Is the nipple what the linkage is attached to? and do lubricants such as pb blaster have any affect loosening it up since its cable actuated?

Old 09-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Getting any kind of lubricant into the cable is tough. It is hard to get to the ends of the housing and it gets plugged up pretty well from rust when it gets stuck like yours. I would doubt the issue is at the lever on the nipple. It is most likely the cable. If you can get it to move, then you are in better shape than some. I try to shift mine into lock every few weeks to make sure it's available when I need it.

Quick Reply: 04 no diff lock?