Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 slipped liner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I didn't get a chance to spray it down but it Def isn't there when the block is cold.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

yea that and were you able to look in the cylinders with a small flash light or bore scope and see if any of your piston tops were shiny steam cleaned?

Old 10-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
yea that and were you able to look in the cylinders with a small flash light or bore scope and see if any of your piston tops were shiny steam cleaned?
I tried my best to look down there with a pen flashlight but couldnt make out anything, I did notice that the #3 plug was extremely shiny as opposed to the others on that side.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Sarge103
I tried my best to look down there with a pen flashlight but couldnt make out anything, I did notice that the #3 plug was extremely shiny as opposed to the others on that side.
You should see if autozone or one of em will loan you a borescope to look at the pistons, you should also see if you can get a gas test kit on loan to see if you are getting gases into the coolant, and you should try the water hose test to see what you get with that.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Three Wheeling

You should see if autozone or one of em will loan you a borescope to look at the pistons, you should also see if you can get a gas test kit on loan to see if you are getting gases into the coolant, and you should try the water hose test to see what you get with that.
I'll check with auto zone about that equipment, and try to do the hose test tomorrow just to be sure. But the immediate knocking as soon as it heats up is so instantaneous I'm thinking it's gotta be a liner.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Sarge103
I'll check with auto zone about that equipment, and try to do the hose test tomorrow just to be sure. But the immediate knocking as soon as it heats up is so instantaneous I'm thinking it's gotta be a liner.
Probably but, if it turns out that it's just the sleeve moving and not a cracked block and you aren't getting coolant into the cylinder you may be able to stop the tick with a 180 thermostat.

If you are loosing coolant and are ticking, it's probably going into the cylinder.

You'll have to work you way through all of this to see where you are at exactly.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Probably but, if it turns out that it's just the sleeve moving and not a cracked block and you aren't getting coolant into the cylinder you may be able to stop the tick with a 180 thermostat.

If you are loosing coolant and are ticking, it's probably going into the cylinder.

You'll have to work you way through all of this to see where you are at exactly.
Yeah I want to be sure

Old 10-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

So I had the exact same thing going on with mine. Just curious I know you said you are using 93 but my tick went away once I switched from BP gas to Shell. I also saw the gas mileage go up. I switched gas in March and my tick has been gone since then. I wasn't getting any codes on mine though. I would go ahead and change out your plugs and wires though. The factory wires are horrible about arcing.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had the same tick for a while now. Even after I switched to a 180 t-stat. My tick is consistent with RPMs. I hear it tick faster/louder when I get on the highway. You guys have me all worried about the oil pump now. Thanks.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 10-08-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
I've had the same tick for a while now. Even after I switched to a 180 t-stat. My tick is consistent with RPMs. I hear it tick faster/louder when I get on the highway. You guys have me all worried about the oil pump now. Thanks.

Yours is probably not a liner if you can hear it on the highway and at high rpm.

I couldn't hear mine on the highway at all. Only idling and up to maybe 2K rpm or so and only after warm. After raising the rpm's higher it wouldn't tick since the liner couldn't keep up with the piston.

and even on those that definitely do have a loose liner the 180 t-stat is not a guaranteed fix. It's a shot in the dark but well worth a try. It stopped mine from ticking but, some have said it didn't stop theirs.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-08-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 04 slipped liner?