Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 inch lift question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 02:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

On my last Disco I did springs and shocks in the front and rear spacers with appropriate length shocks. The ONLY reason I did spacers in the rear was because I wanted to retain the air bags.

If you don’t have bags and are on regular coils, I’d advise against spacers. They are a stupid cheap solution people use on Jeeps (yes I have a Jeep as well) and invariably end up not being a good idea. Now the suspension design from a Jeep JK and a D2 are dramatically different, but simple bracket extensions or spacers just seem like a bad idea- especially if you are going to use the machine for towing or off road or any form of harder work.

In my opinion, $450 for springs and shocks is a pretty smokin deal. I ran TF shocks on my last D2 and they were just fine. On my Jeep I have close to $2k in suspension and I’m still on the OEM control arms.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 160 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 328Driver
Lol...thanks man. I'm a little confused on that link. Is that something you install with the spacers?
Those are to extend the length of your shocks so they wont clunk when they are extended all the way - they can only travel so far before they cant go any further.

The following users liked this post:
Alex_M (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 10:13 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input. Guess I'll go with the TF 2" lift kit from lucky8.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by longtallsally
On my last Disco I did springs and shocks in the front and rear spacers with appropriate length shocks. The ONLY reason I did spacers in the rear was because I wanted to retain the air bags.

If you don’t have bags and are on regular coils, I’d advise against spacers. They are a stupid cheap solution people use on Jeeps (yes I have a Jeep as well) and invariably end up not being a good idea. Now the suspension design from a Jeep JK and a D2 are dramatically different, but simple bracket extensions or spacers just seem like a bad idea- especially if you are going to use the machine for towing or off road or any form of harder work.

In my opinion, $450 for springs and shocks is a pretty smokin deal. I ran TF shocks on my last D2 and they were just fine. On my Jeep I have close to $2k in suspension and I’m still on the OEM control arms.
There's nothing wrong with being thrifty and nothing stupid about spacers. Depending on application, they are just fine. There is no reason they would cause issues towing/hauling that you did not have before installing spacers, or issues that +2 springs would not also cause.

Under $500 for springs and shocks is a screaming deal compared to almost any other vehicle I've put a lift kit on, but if spacers are adequate a person's usage case then there is no reason not to use them.